YES man philosophy

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Polar Bear

Re: YES man philosophy

Post by Polar Bear »

convivium wrote:
Nietzsche's moral philosophy rejects the notion that the skillful/wholesome and the unskillful/unwholesome is or can be the same for all and one for a variety of reasons. Second, the eternal recurrence has rather obvious implications that make the buddhist path rather silly to undertake. Third, he considered buddhist practice life denying.
i don't have time to write an essay here. you have to read nietzsche with a lot of context in mind; you have to try understand and relate to him like you would a friend. the first point has to take into account common sense. the second point doesn't seem in any way anathema to buddhist practice if you don't construe it metaphysically. and the third point: the goal of the deathless qua escape from the cycle of rebirths is life denying.
So then you agree, Nietzsche's philosophy is antithetical to buddhist practice/philosophy? The first point actually has to take into account Nietzsche's ideas about morality and the causal inefficacy of will, not common sense. There's disagreement on whether Nietzsche took the eternal recurrence metaphysically, it may just be a tool that helps one to seize the day with more gusto. Nietszsche's Ubermensch heavily criticizes life denying philosophers. Just taking the last point and disregarding the other two one can see that Nietzche's philosophy is antithetical to buddhist philosophy/practice.

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
convivium

Post by convivium »

no i don't agree. i'll get back to you on it if you want.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

convivium wrote:no i don't agree. i'll get back to you on it if you want.
I'm intrigued, please do.

:namaste:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Ben

Post by Ben »

ok, lets now return to topic.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
convivium

Post by convivium »

well i was going to respond, i guess i'll pm you.
with regard to the op, you have to have sila, mindfulness, circumspection and sense restraint.
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php