labeling

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

labeling

Post by befriend »

if an egoic thought comes up like if i do this someone will think im awesome. should we maybe bow, to cultivate humility the conventional route, or do we just label it as thinking, "oh heres another thought, now ill just come back to the moment". or if we have a wrong view like hunting animals is fine, do we make a mental note thinking thinking to recognize the ultmaite reality of the thought. or do we refer it to it as being unwholesome. how do we know when to apply conventional reality and when to apply ultamite reality in terms of thinking? thank you. be well, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Buckwheat

Re: labeling

Post by Buckwheat »

befriend wrote:...to recognize the ultmaite reality of the thought...
What is the ultimate reality of the thought?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

befriend wrote:if an egoic thought comes up like if i do this someone will think im awesome. should we maybe bow, to cultivate humility the conventional route, or do we just label it as thinking, "oh heres another thought, now ill just come back to the moment".
There are different approaches and it depends on the context, but I'd be inclined to keep it simple - so maybe just label it "thinking". Then maybe you become aware of a pattern behind the thoughts, like "wanting attention".
Buddha save me from new-agers!
befriend

Post by befriend »

the nature of the thought is characterized by impermanence, suffering and non self. but i am afraid that would be nihilism? maybe.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Just be aware thinking is happening and carry on. That doesn't mean you can't be aware of the content of the thought and the motivations behind it but if you start analysing or trying to solve it you are only going to cause it to snowball, whereas if you stay with the process of thinking you gain the objectivity and over time start letting go of the unwise motivations that fuel your thoughts.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah