labeling

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

labeling

Postby befriend » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 am

if an egoic thought comes up like if i do this someone will think im awesome. should we maybe bow, to cultivate humility the conventional route, or do we just label it as thinking, "oh heres another thought, now ill just come back to the moment". or if we have a wrong view like hunting animals is fine, do we make a mental note thinking thinking to recognize the ultmaite reality of the thought. or do we refer it to it as being unwholesome. how do we know when to apply conventional reality and when to apply ultamite reality in terms of thinking? thank you. be well, befriend
befriend

Re: labeling

Postby Buckwheat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 pm

befriend wrote:...to recognize the ultmaite reality of the thought...

What is the ultimate reality of the thought?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 pm

befriend wrote:if an egoic thought comes up like if i do this someone will think im awesome. should we maybe bow, to cultivate humility the conventional route, or do we just label it as thinking, "oh heres another thought, now ill just come back to the moment".

There are different approaches and it depends on the context, but I'd be inclined to keep it simple - so maybe just label it "thinking". Then maybe you become aware of a pattern behind the thoughts, like "wanting attention".
Spiny Norman

Postby befriend » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 pm

the nature of the thought is characterized by impermanence, suffering and non self. but i am afraid that would be nihilism? maybe.
befriend

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Just be aware thinking is happening and carry on. That doesn't mean you can't be aware of the content of the thought and the motivations behind it but if you start analysing or trying to solve it you are only going to cause it to snowball, whereas if you stay with the process of thinking you gain the objectivity and over time start letting go of the unwise motivations that fuel your thoughts.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Return to Insight Meditation