Be like water

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
purple planet
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: Be like water

Postby purple planet » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Im not looking for metaphors all the time - and im not fixated on this alone but

it would just be super helpful to have this one good metaphor about water :" be flexible be persistent and you can overcome everything " but can water overcome rock on the buttom of a lake ? no

(if i could meditate i would but i need some motivational help - and a good metaphor is extremely helpful at least on me it is- i usually like to hear about this but im sure it will help me (if i wont find a solution to this thats fine but nothing wrong in trying))
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Ben » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Then I recommend that you go back to the quote I posted earlier in the thread. The sutta, delivered to Rahula, is incredibly powerful and profound.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

purple planet
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby purple planet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 am

Thats a good quote i like all posts that were posted here - i allready saw that spesific quote its very nice the more water quotes the better but this water idiom has allready helped me a lot and is giving me motivation - im not looking for it to be perfect probobly water dosnt "act" the way it does to make a good idiom for me - but it would be helpful to try and understand it more - i meditate and everything now - but it would be nice to understand water more - maybe i should open a new thread that just is about water route sciencetifically ?

so about my question i found this : http://www.livescience.com/1312-huge-oc ... earth.html
its about how scientists have found evidence of water under the sea floor

i wonder how it got there - did it seep there under the ocean floor - or was it there to begin with ? if it seeped down then its great for the idiom - that water can allways overcome anything - But that might be only in certain parts - cause water cant seep under a solid rock
Please send merit to my dog named Mika who has passed away - thanks in advance

Return to “Open Dhamma”