Backsliding in my sitting meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Digity

Backsliding in my sitting meditation

Post by Digity »

I don't fully understand what's going on, but I feel like I've been backsliding in my sitting meditation. Before I could at least have a few sittings where I got fully concentrated on my breath. However, now it never happens. It's been like this for weeks and weeks. I just can't bring myself to concentrate on the breath. I would think with practice I'd get better at this, but it seems like I just can't do it...I can stay with the breath, but I can't get fully absorbed in it. I'm trying to play with the breath and stuff to see if that would help. Sometimes I get glimpses of getting back to that concentration, but it doesn't last long. Anyone experience this before? Any advice? Should I take break from meditating? I'm guessing not.
daverupa

Re: Backsliding in my sitting meditation

Post by daverupa »

Take a break from seeking to have the meditation be one way or another. This dissatisfaction has arisen; find the causes for that hindrance, yes?

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

daverupa wrote:Take a break from seeking to have the meditation be one way or another. This dissatisfaction has arisen; find the causes for that hindrance, yes?

:heart:
:goodpost:

Yeah, dont judge, just do the method and let it be what it is.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Digity,

while I also agree with letting go of expectations in a meditation session, in favour of just doing the practice to the best of your ability (while still remaining sensitive to what works and what doesn't so you can remember that), I also think that if a significant obstacle has arisen, it is ok to seek some guidance from a wise and experienced meditation teacher, who knows the terrain, has probably been where you are right now, and might be able to guide you through. Some make themselves available to talk over the phone.

So I will not advise regarding meditation itself, because I really think that is best left to an expert, and I mean someone who has mastered the method you are engaged in. But I will remind you (remind because I'm sure you already know the following) that 1. all of the Noble Eightfold Path, every single factor, matters a lot and we can always work on improving the other factors, regardless of how our meditation practice is faring at present. We 'western, intellectual types' often tend to be too overly focussed on the samma sati / samma samadhi limbs of the Path (as compared to the other six limbs), in what I think is a slightly unbalanced way (please note - I include myself in that admonishment, and I apologise for generalising :) ). 2. Virtue. I heard more than one meditation teacher say that most problems come not from wrong technique on the cushion, but from what we do off the cushion. Increase and purify Virtue, that can help. 3. Be kind to yourself.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

We all go through those periods. Could you say specifically what's happening and describe your practice a bit?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
alan...

Post by alan... »

Digity wrote:I don't fully understand what's going on, but I feel like I've been backsliding in my sitting meditation. Before I could at least have a few sittings where I got fully concentrated on my breath. However, now it never happens. It's been like this for weeks and weeks. I just can't bring myself to concentrate on the breath. I would think with practice I'd get better at this, but it seems like I just can't do it...I can stay with the breath, but I can't get fully absorbed in it. I'm trying to play with the breath and stuff to see if that would help. Sometimes I get glimpses of getting back to that concentration, but it doesn't last long. Anyone experience this before? Any advice? Should I take break from meditating? I'm guessing not.
for me what made it solidify is learning jhana. it's such a blissful state that the mind runs toward it full speed every time you sit.
Nyorai

Post by Nyorai »

Use counting of breath, breath one to breath ten repeating these ten counts again. Alternatively the counting of Buddha name :sage:
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Digity wrote:I can stay with the breath, but I can't get fully absorbed in it.
It might just be that you're trying too hard. In the suttas there is the example of a musical instrument string which needs to be tight, but not too tight.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

I post this excerpt from Ajaan Maha Boowa from time to time because it's a different take on breath meditation, than to be completely preoccupied with the breath indefinitely.
The same holds true if you focus on keeping the breath in mind. Whether the breath is heavy or refined, simply be aware of it as it normally is. Don't set up any expectations. Don't force the breath to be like this or that. Keep your awareness with the breath, because in meditating by taking the breath as your preoccupation, you're not after the breath. The breath is simply something for the mind to hold to so that you can reach the real thing, just as when you follow the tracks of an ox: You're not after the tracks of the ox. You follow its tracks because you want to reach the ox. Here you're keeping track of the breath so as to reach the real thing: awareness. If you were to start out just by holding on to awareness, you wouldn't get any results, just as you wouldn't be sure of finding the ox if you simply went around looking for it. But if you follow its tracks, you're going to find it for sure. Your meditation word has to keep moving in. This is called following the tracks of the ox step by step until you reach the ox, or what knows: namely the mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... tml#tracks
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Digity

Post by Digity »

manas wrote:Hi Digity,

while I also agree with letting go of expectations in a meditation session, in favour of just doing the practice to the best of your ability (while still remaining sensitive to what works and what doesn't so you can remember that), I also think that if a significant obstacle has arisen, it is ok to seek some guidance from a wise and experienced meditation teacher, who knows the terrain, has probably been where you are right now, and might be able to guide you through. Some make themselves available to talk over the phone.
I do have a teacher I can talk to and I plan to at some point if I can't get through things on my own. Although, I don't want to create a habit of running to the teacher every time something I don't like happens. :D
manas wrote: So I will not advise regarding meditation itself, because I really think that is best left to an expert, and I mean someone who has mastered the method you are engaged in. But I will remind you (remind because I'm sure you already know the following) that 1. all of the Noble Eightfold Path, every single factor, matters a lot and we can always work on improving the other factors, regardless of how our meditation practice is faring at present. We 'western, intellectual types' often tend to be too overly focussed on the samma sati / samma samadhi limbs of the Path (as compared to the other six limbs), in what I think is a slightly unbalanced way (please note - I include myself in that admonishment, and I apologise for generalising :) ). 2. Virtue. I heard more than one meditation teacher say that most problems come not from wrong technique on the cushion, but from what we do off the cushion. Increase and purify Virtue, that can help. 3. Be kind to yourself.

:anjali:
Yeah, I think this is one of my biggest problems. There's certain aspects of the path where I'm weak in and I don't give them the necessary attention. I need to get it through my thick head that you need to given all aspects of the teachings balanced attention.
Digity

Post by Digity »

marc108 wrote:We all go through those periods. Could you say specifically what's happening and describe your practice a bit?
I do breath meditation and focus mostly on the breath at the nose. The thing I'm experiencing is a kind of dullness...at times I feel like my mind is just resisting my desire to pay attention to my meditation object. When this happens the mind just feels shut off. That's what I noticed today during my walking meditation. It's not always happening...there's times when I'm focused, but it's not consistent enough. I think before with my breath meditation, the times when I did get concentrated, my mind was more engaged. I'm lacking that feeling of wanting to be engaged in the breath like I did before. I think that's my problem, but I'm not sure. I'll try and pay closer attention to see what's going on.
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

An interesting comment that Ajahn Brahm makes repeatedly is that meditation isn't forcing the mind to concentrate on one point. My Vipassana teacher also said that focussing on the breath isn't meditation but a concentration exercise. This is a bit surprising, considering how many people do meditate this way, so I am not sure how to take this. At any rate, just thinking out loud (or through the keyboard rather), maybe if focussing on the breath for a longer amount of time doesn't work, you could try exploring your distractions mindfully (vipassana) to both cultivate acceptance and to just discover where all of that restlessness or distraction comes from? I am in the process of trying out this new kind of meditation where I sit down at a miserable moment deliberately (tiredness, backpain, you name it) and focus on letting go of expectations and try and train myself in accepting the unsuccesfulness of that meditation session which is sort of doomed from the beginning. You could say this is sort of a self-directed metta meditation. Not sure yet how this works out but it's an interesting approach.
Digity

Post by Digity »

I spoke to my teacher and described what was happening. He thinks that my awareness is developing more and that I'm just more aware now of what's going on. I honesty thought the same thing at one point....so hearing it from him too is encouraging. Anyway, he said it was a good sign and to continue with the practice.