Illegal parking

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Illegal parking

Post by Digity »

Does parking illegally constitute theft? For instance, I had workers come to my house to install A/C. I had to put my car on the street and it's only allowed to be there at most three hours. If I left it longer is that considered stealing? Does that break the precept?
Cittasanto

Re: Illegal parking

Post by Cittasanto »

never really looked into it as I don't drive, but I wouldn't of thought it would.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Digity wrote:Does parking illegally constitute theft? For instance, I had workers come to my house to install A/C. I had to put my car on the street and it's only allowed to be there at most three hours. If I left it longer is that considered stealing? Does that break the precept?
I don't think it's stealing but following the laws of the land as long as they don't go against the dhamma is certainly a good thing to do. I wouldn't worry about it except just not try not to do it in the future.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Nyorai

Post by Nyorai »

This is not stealing. Stealing is one having the intention directly or indirectly to make it becomes yours or belong to your company :D
ImageTo become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana.
If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path. He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self.Image
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

If that's theft then string me up and torture me silly, because I am a most awful brigand :embarassed:

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Digity wrote:Does parking illegally constitute theft? For instance, I had workers come to my house to install A/C. I had to put my car on the street and it's only allowed to be there at most three hours. If I left it longer is that considered stealing? Does that break the precept?
I might think it is a minor form of stealing time/space, but there is also a minimum value associated with the vinaya code. If I remember right, it's 1/16th troy ounce of gold, which comes to about $70-80 I think. So, unless you were there long enough that you should have shoveled in that many quarters, I think your parking would be considered, if anything, very minor. It's good to avoid minor offenses, but don't lose sleep over it.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.