Meal Replacement shakes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cooran

Meal Replacement shakes

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Meal Replacement shakes?
Any hints for staying with them over a long term?
What are the pluses and what are the minuses?
I’m thinking of using meal replacements to lose a little weight before a family function next April.

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Meal Replacement shakes

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris,

The use of a high-protein weight-loss meal replacement should be part of a program that combines healthy eating and exercise. I would not use meal-replacement shakes indefinitely, nor would I replace all meals with meal-replacement shakes. If used wisely they can be an excellent short-term strategy.

The two that I have been using over the past few weeks (available via Woolworths & Coles supermarkets) is the Musashi (30g of protein per serve) and the Fatblaster which has the equivalent amount of protein. The criteria that I use to choose a product is 1. completeness of nutrients, 2. most protein per serve , and 3. least calorific value per serve. It also has to be palatable and the only way to know is to try it. The fatblaster is a weight-loss specific meal replacement and the Musashi is more specific to exercise/body building recovery. Having said that, my observation is the effects are essentially the same so long as the product you are using has a high protein low calorific ratio.

I've replaced two meals a day with shakes and have a healthy meal (either lunch or dinner) and enjoy one healthy meal a day. Incidentally, I have all but given up bread. I've also upped my physical exercise. The reduction of carbohydrates in my diet means that I am more tired - but its worth it. I haven't felt better in years and it appears to actually be working for me.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Ben! I've been considering Optifast and the TerryWhite shakes available here in Brisbane. They have the milkshake style and the soup style. Both recommend having up to two meals a day as shakes plus one meal of healthy vegetables and protein.

Will try to take the first steps this week and see how I go.

with metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Chris,
I'll put you in touch with my nephew who lives in Brisbane and sells this stuff.
He might be able to give you some good advice.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Ben. :smile: Send me his contact details via email.

with metta
Chris
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

I think that the best way to lose some weight it's just stop eating :roll:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I know one person done this as a part of a fast to loose weight, over a two week period (If i remember the duration??) while at Amaravati. and I think he kept it up on observance days also?
I don't believe he had solid food of any description over this period but he wasn't exactly doing anything too strenuous, or energy consuming so it was probably ok for his circumstances.

let us know how it goes (I have 25Kg to sort out :cry: )

personally I prefer fasting but not practical unless on holiday having a lead up -> fast -> and cool down period of approximately equal lengths but it is unfortunately impractical to do. but do try to cleanse my system a little every few weeks. and would recommend that as part of any diet.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Cittasanto,
Cittasanto wrote:I know one person done this as a part of a fast to loose weight, over a two week period (If i remember the duration??) while at Amaravati. and I think he kept it up on observance days also?
I don't believe he had solid food of any description over this period but he wasn't exactly doing anything too strenuous, or energy consuming so it was probably ok for his circumstances.

let us know how it goes (I have 25Kg to sort out :cry: )

personally I prefer fasting but not practical unless on holiday having a lead up -> fast -> and cool down period of approximately equal lengths but it is unfortunately impractical to do. but do try to cleanse my system a little every few weeks. and would recommend that as part of any diet.
Its pretty easy - whether one wants to up one's physical exercise or not. It should also make a good transition for those people wishing to adopt the practice of not eating after mid-day or only eating once a day. But like anything, if it becomes a focus for an obsession then its not healthy.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ben wrote: Its pretty easy - whether one wants to up one's physical exercise or not. It should also make a good transition for those people wishing to adopt the practice of not eating after mid-day or only eating once a day. But like anything, if it becomes a focus for an obsession then its not healthy.
kind regards,

Ben
:)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
sattva

Post by sattva »

I am just looking for some sort of protein powder to add to food that wouldn't be sweet. I am suppose to increase protein intake because my albumin level is low. I tried eating fish again and I just can't seem to do it. I am allergic to eggs and I am not suppose to eat much dairy. I am on a strict low-sodium, reduced potassium and phosphorous diet. I am on dialysis. Simple ideas for adding protein to my diet besides going on the sugar or the sugar substitute side of food and drinks would be appreciated. Quick and simple cooking ideas, or supplements that might lead to savory instead of sweet dishes is what I am hoping to find somewhere.

Thanks!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Sattva,

There are heaps of whey-based protein powders on the market. Some are formulated for weight loss while others are formulated to assist in gaining muscle mass. Given your sensitivity to sodium, perhaps you should be takiing advice from your doctor or a nutritionist as to the best option for you.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Hi Sattva,
Plant Fusion is a pea-protein based powder, 22g protein per 30g serving. No soy, no whey,
no dairy, no gluten, hypoallergenic. Has all essential amino acids. Dissolves quickly in liquid, easy to digest, well absorbed.. Straight up, tastes kind of like powdered peas, but less so when mixed. I prefer the unflavored version, do a shake every day with 30g powder, a banana or other fruit, a dash of honey (you could skip this), and almond milk. For my weight, that's about half my daily protein need. Try different fruits or play with the recipe. You can also sprinkle or mix it in with other stuff, like on oatmeal, or in yogurt. Quick and easy - a bit expensive, my local co-op has 2lb jars for $40. Still, per gram of protein, not too costly, especially since it's a very high quality protein, and it lasts a long time. If you decide to try it and don't like it, I'd be happy to purchase what you don't use. It's a win-win!

ETA - I just tried looking on the website zip code search, it seems a bit difficult to find. If you have a problem, let me know, I can buy some locally here and mail it to you. :hug: :heart:
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hi lb, hope you're feeling better. I came across this site which has a list of savoury protien powder plus recipes .try googling ... Thefitwriter.wordpress.com savoury protien powder. Worth a try anyway. However I would heed bens advice and consult your doc or dietician.Love and prayers as always . BB
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

For protein, can you stomach quorn? (assuming you have it where you are - it's in most UK supermarkets now). It's vegetarian, much lower fat than meat, easy to cook and make tasty, and a good source of protein.

http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Cooran,
I don't know if this will help, but here's my story. Several months back, I was attempting to maintain the precept to not eat after noon. I felt great while staying at a monastary for a week, but when I got home the practice had too many drawback (namely headaches that would not go away after trying many remedies). I have decided that I'm just not ready for the practice. But I recently started eating 3 light meals, breakfast ~6am, lunch ~11 am, and dinner ~3 pm, with nothing but water after dinner. I try to keep daily calories <2300 (I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs, so my allowance is higher than avg). Unfortunately, I have not been doing this every day, but when I do have success, I find myself feeling light and clear the next day. My biggest difficulty is that my roommates do not eat healthy and tend to offer me sweets and other treats in the evening.

My purpose of this post is to share that my "dinner" is capped with a table spoon of chia seeds. They are very high in fiber and other nutrients. Apparently, they form a gel in your stomach that slows digestion down to a crawl. They seem to work, I have been getting through the evening without much difficulty. Maybe it's something you can try as a way to stay "full" without a large amount of calories.

The chia seeds are neither delicious nor disgusting. My favorite thing is to simply dump the tablespoon into my mouth and wash them down with a large glass of water. I have also added them to yougurt, pudding, etc.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.