My Dhamma Charts

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

My Dhamma Charts

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi all,

I created this Dhamma chart today. Any comments welcome. If you see any mistakes, if you have any advice as to how it can be improved, or if anything important is missing, please tell me.

Larger version (English) ... Larger version (Pali)

Last edited by Lombardi4 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SarathW

Re: My Dhamma Chart

Post by SarathW »

Hi Stephen
For the first time I found a such summarized version in one chart. I did not have time to proof read it, but seems very comprehensive. :)
I saved it in my computer for future reference.
I hope a beginner will not be overwhelmed by this! :o
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Wow at a quick glance that looks really useful. My only suggestion would be, did you consider colour-coding it?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I thought about a color-code as well, else putting it in three dimensions.

Otherwise, just memorize it. :tongue:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Stephen, would you mind if I used yours to make my own colour-coded version at some point? Of course if I ever post it anywhere I will give proper credit :smile: It is a brilliant resource.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Feathers wrote:Stephen, would you mind if I used yours to make my own colour-coded version at some point? Of course if I ever post it anywhere I will give proper credit :smile: It is a brilliant resource.
I wouldn't mind at all, friend. Use it. Make it better. :)
plwk

Post by plwk »

Nice work stephen.
If I may suggest under Sangha..i know, i know space is a luxury :tongue:
a. Spelling: Once Returner
b. Under the 4 stages of sainthood:
i. those in training under the respective 4
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
The four pairs are (1) the person on the path to stream-entry, the person experiencing the fruit of stream-entry;
(2) the person on the path to once-returning, the person experiencing the fruit of once-returning;
(3) the person on the path to non-returning, the person experiencing the fruit of non-returning;
(4) the person on the path to arahantship, the person experiencing the fruit of arahantship.
The eight individuals are the eight types forming these four pairs.
ii. the sevenfold classes of disciples:
Bhikkhu, Bhikkhunī, Sikkhamānā, Samaṇera, Samaṇerī, Upāsaka & Upāsikā

Keep the charts coming :thumbsup:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi plwk, I have made a few changes to the sangha section to accord with some of your suggestions. I think laypeople are not considered part of the sangha, so I've just included monks, nuns, and novices.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It looks great!

The only thing I see missing is the 5 types of wrong livelihood under "Right Livelihood"

The Cliff notes version of Theravada Buddhism! :thumbsup:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

David N. Snyder wrote:It looks great!

The only thing I see missing is the 5 types of wrong livelihood under "Right Livelihood"

The Cliff notes version of Theravada Buddhism! :thumbsup:
Added. :smile:
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Great Chart Stephen :smile:

Personally I'd love the additional pali words but that would take up too much space. Very good overview!
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Alobha wrote:Great Chart Stephen :smile:

Personally I'd love the additional pali words but that would take up too much space. Very good overview!
I can make one entirely in Pali if you want! It wouldn't be that difficult. :smile:
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

Stephen K wrote:

I can make one entirely in Pali if you want! It wouldn't be that difficult. :smile:
That would be wonderful! If it uses the same layout, one would have a quick reference layout for core pali terms! :smile:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Alobha wrote:
Stephen K wrote:

That would be wonderful! If it uses the same layout, one would have a quick reference layout for core pali terms! :smile:
OK! I'll try and make it tomorrow.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Really like this, thanks for making it and posting!
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26