Organ Transplant and Rebirth

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Organ Transplant and Rebirth

Postby SarathW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 pm

What if one day, the scientist manage to transplant whole body parts of a person to anther person(s)’s body? Will the person, whose all body parts are removed, still be alive (conscious)? According to Buddhism, when the person is considered dead? Is it possible to share one body by two people (not siamese twins)?

I raised this question based on my present understanding of the following.
- Consciousness is arising with the body. So if the body is not fully disintegrated the consciousness still will be there.
- Seat of consciousness is in every part of the body
- Death according to Buddhism means the biological death
- Body parts are removed after the clinical death but before biological death
- There is no person but the consciousness keep on flowing. The body is conscious but it is not my consciousness.
- :shrug:
SarathW

Re: Organ Transplant and Rebirth

Postby kirk5a » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm

SarathW wrote:According to Buddhism, when the person is considered dead?

This doesn't address the science fictional aspects of your post, but here's something:
"In the case of the one who is dead, who has completed his time, his bodily fabrications have ceased & subsided, his verbal fabrications ... his mental fabrications have ceased & subsided, his vitality is exhausted, his heat subsided, & his faculties are scattered.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Re: Organ Transplant and Rebirth

Postby SarathW » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 am

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
Just amazing! I hope that one day, I will understand this in full. :namaste:
SarathW

Return to Theravāda for the modern world