My Dhamma Charts

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lombardi4

Re: My Dhamma Chart

Post by Lombardi4 »

Coyote wrote:Really like this, thanks for making it and posting!
You're welcome :smile:
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Really nice! :twothumbsup:

Care to include "derived form" (upādāya rūpa) under the Form group?

If only you could bring in the 10 courses of skilfull action; 7 courses overlap with Right Speech and Right Action, while mental kamma has some partial overlap with 2 bits of Right Intention and some overlap with Right View that is mundane.

Perhaps "feeling" might be better catalogued as "pleasant, painful, neutral" rather than the more affective reactions of "happiness, suffering"?
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Sylvester wrote:Really nice! :twothumbsup:

Care to include "derived form" (upādāya rūpa) under the Form group?

If only you could bring in the 10 courses of skilfull action; 7 courses overlap with Right Speech and Right Action, while mental kamma has some partial overlap with 2 bits of Right Intention and some overlap with Right View that is mundane.

Perhaps "feeling" might be better catalogued as "pleasant, painful, neutral" rather than the more affective reactions of "happiness, suffering"?
I have added "derived form", and have substituted "pleasant and painful" for "happiness and suffering". I don't think I have enough space for the 10 courses of skillful action, though. Thanks for your suggestions.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Excellent work, Stephen. I have a habit of making "comprehensive" lists and charts, but now that I see one that has been "peer-reviewed" I can use it as an answer key to see if I am missing anything. If you do create one in Pali, please post it. On these lists I like to work in Pali.

Thanks.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Pali version added in OP below English version.
Kare

Re: My Dhamma Charts

Post by Kare »

Excellent, Steven! Thanks!

:bow:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Alobha

Post by Alobha »

:anjali: Well done! I'll print them out and hang them on my wall. They will be excellent for memorizing every day!
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I have made several changes to some of the text and the design, including fixing the arrows and position of the text so that the diagram seems less cluttered and more organized (to the English version only).
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Even more awesome. Definitely printing this :-)
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Is this what you meant by colour-coding?

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I suppose I have a few points, since that color really helps give the eyes a base of operations when scanning the piece:

1. You've written "karma" when maybe "kamma" would be more consistent.

2. For example, the five precepts box goes to five destinations, but otherwise just hangs down there; perhaps the five things being pointed to receive their own color, and then the legend on the side says "that color = precepts". This might help trim out some of the arrows, but may be of limited usefulness throughout.

3. Maybe the various b i u effects could be used to some effect; the triple gem could be bolded and put in all-caps, freeing up that color for #2 above, etc.

In any event,

:thumbsup:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Stephen K wrote:Is this what you meant by colour-coding?
Looks good, makes it a bit easier to follow. Thank you for putting so much effort into this :smile:
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Just an idea, maybe somewhere add:
This is, because that is.
This is not, because that is not.
This ceases to be, because that ceases to be.
And if you don't add that, maybe somebody can let me know how to say that in Pali?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Buckwheat wrote:Just an idea, maybe somewhere add:
This is, because that is.
This is not, because that is not.
This ceases to be, because that ceases to be.
And if you don't add that, maybe somebody can let me know how to say that in Pali?
I won't put it, but you can find it here: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of ... C4.81da.29 )

Imasmiṃ sati, idaṃ hoti.
Imass’ uppādā, idaṃ uppajjati.
Imasmiṃ asati, idaṃ na hoti.
Imassa nirodhā, idhaṃ nirujjhati.