Baroness Margaret Hilda Thatcher

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

Re: Baroness Margaret Hilda Thatcher

Post by manas »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

Perhaps members could state particulars about which of Baroness Thatchers' legislation and policies they disagreed with, and why - rather than writing disparaging remarks with no supporting substance.

With metta,
Chris
:goodpost:

In the course of our travels in Samsara, we have all likely done our fair share of bad, as well as good. Thatcher will have to experience the results of her kamma, just as we do now, and will again in the future. While it's true that many of the actions & policies she instigated during her time in power were clearly wrong and ought to be censured, there's no point in us judging her personally - unless we ourselves are completely free of ever having done anything wrong before - which is highly unlikely.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

manas wrote: __________
In the course of our travels in Samsara, we have all likely done our fair share of bad, as well as good. Thatcher will have to experience the results of her kamma, just as we do now, and will again in the future. While it's true that many of the actions & policies she instigated during her time in power were clearly wrong and ought to be censured, there's no point in us judging her personally - unless we ourselves are completely free of ever having done anything wrong before - which is highly unlikely.

:goodpost:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

manas wrote: While it's true that many of the actions & policies she instigated during her time in power were clearly wrong and ought to be censured, there's no point in us judging her personally
Ah, but you just did, and rather neatly.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

tiltbillings wrote:
manas wrote: While it's true that many of the actions & policies she instigated during her time in power were clearly wrong and ought to be censured, there's no point in us judging her personally
Tilt, don't you make any distinction between her (as a poor ignorant wandering being), and her actions? That's what I was getting at. I meant, that while I do not approve of many actions she undertook during her lifetime, that nevertheless I feel sorry for her now, having to experience the results of those actions. The 'hate the sin, but not the sinner' notion. But yeah I see your point.

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

BlackBird wrote: What happend to Genkaku? He used to post here there and everywhere. Haven't seen him in years. I bought his book, it was a wonderful read.
He is still very active on NewBuddhist.com, posts a lot every day. He wrote a book?
Sorry for off topic.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

manas wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Tilt, don't you make any distinction between her (as a poor ignorant wandering being), and her actions? That's what I was getting at. I meant, that while I do not approve of many actions she undertook during her lifetime, that nevertheless I feel sorry for her now, having to experience the results of those actions. The 'hate the sin, but not the sinner' notion. But yeah I see your point.

I think the only thing we can judge are the actions. Doesn't really make sense to judge the person - what is a person apart from his/her actions? We don't know the thoughts, so...
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

James the Giant wrote:
BlackBird wrote: What happend to Genkaku? He used to post here there and everywhere. Haven't seen him in years. I bought his book, it was a wonderful read.
He is still very active on NewBuddhist.com, posts a lot every day. He wrote a book?
Sorry for off topic.
Yeah it was called 'Answer your love letters' it's a collection of stories with zen musings, I loved it, very heart warming. Don't know if it's still in publication though, you could ask the man himself I guess. I gave it to the library at Bodhinyanarama before I departed for Sri Lanka.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Margaret Thatcher dead: Judy Garland's Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead set for number one spot
Facebook campaign sends 1939 song rocketing into iTunes Top 30 download chart

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... ds-1819526

Live chart position: http://livehits.co.uk/top300.php

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Certainly she was a complex individual - as were the situations she faced.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Margaret Thatcher dead: Judy Garland's Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead set for number one spot
Facebook campaign sends 1939 song rocketing into iTunes Top 30 download chart

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... ds-1819526

Live chart position: http://livehits.co.uk/top300.php

Metta,
Retro. :)
Goodness gracious me

She was still a human being, tis all a bit ruff if you ask me.

The power of social media is incredible though, I wonder who's going to profit from all this new found success for the song?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:
She was still a human being, tis all a bit ruff if you ask me.
She is a human being who should little to no empathy with the lives she ruined.

Rasko

Post by Rasko »

Britain is a democracy? She and her policies at that time were supported by the majority? Or not?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Rasko wrote:Britain is a democracy? She and her policies at that time were supported by the majority? Or not?
Of course it is a democracy and a democracy under Thatcher. She and her party were elected by a majority of voting adults and returned another two times. Thatcher was Prime Minister for three consecutive terms. It would appear that she was popular. Certainly not popular with all, but a majority of voters.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Rasko wrote:Britain is a democracy? She and her policies at that time were supported by the majority? Or not?
Depends how democratic you think the first-past-the-post system is.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26