Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Read mo

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Read mo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:05 pm

http://www.care2.com/causes/roadkill-for-dinner-montana-wants-to-make-it-legal.html

Personally, I support it. I live in New York State where people routinely hit deer and other animals. The law is that if you hit a deer and it dies or you suspect it will, you must to call the police. The police come, and anyone who wants to may take the animal. People do this all the time. A 180 pound buck usually yields about 72 pounds of meat. That is a lot of meat that can feed people without anyone having to intentionally hunt or kill an animal.

Montana also has large elk and moose populations. So each one hit currently is hundreds of pounds of meat that could feed people just wasted. What a shame.

Kevin
Virgo

Re: Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Rea

Postby Mojo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Seems like a good idea.
Mojo

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Virgo wrote:http://www.care2.com/causes/roadkill-for-dinner-montana-wants-to-make-it-legal.html

Personally, I support it. I live in New York State where people routinely hit deer and other animals. The law is that if you hit a deer and it dies or you suspect it will, you must to call the police. The police come, and anyone who wants to may take the animal. People do this all the time. A 180 pound buck usually yields about 72 pounds of meat. That is a lot of meat that can feed people without anyone having to intentionally hunt or kill an animal.

Montana also has large elk and moose populations. So each one hit currently is hundreds of pounds of meat that could feed people just wasted. What a shame.

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares
yawares

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:53 pm

yawares wrote:Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares

Hi Yawares. Generally, we are not talking about small game, such as squirrels, etc., but large game like deer, moose, elk, antilopes, etc. In many cases one animal can provide the meat portion for hundreds of meals. Do you think that should be left to rot? A bull moose may provide 300, or in some cases even over 500 pounds of meat. Do you know how many meals that is? Meals that no one has to intentionally kill an animal for? Lots!

Have a great day. :D

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Coyote wrote:Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.

You know birds didn't even cross my mind, I am sure they also have wild turkeys in Montana too that become roadkill.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby Sam Vara » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:02 pm

OK for your local monastic community, too...

"One should not knowingly consume meat killed on purpose (for a bhikkhu). Whoever should consume it: an offense of wrong doing. I allow fish and meat that is pure in three respects: One has not seen, heard, or suspected (that it was killed on purpose for a bhikkhu)." — Mv.VI.31.14

...providing, of course, that the driver did all they could to avoid the animal!

In my case, I have been vegetarian for so long that a physical squeamishness seems to have replaced the original rational desire to spare animals suffering. I might see the benefit, but I don't think I could do it.
Sam Vara

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:45 pm

I am a vegetarian, but I find this to be a good idea. There is definitely no intention of killing (as long it wasn't hit on-purpose), no factory farming, none of the breeding or anti-biotic fed animal issues; basically an 'organic' meat. I think it is a good idea, for those who like the taste of meat.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Virgo wrote:
Coyote wrote:Round here some people eat pheasant when it is accidentally killed. Sounds like a good idea imo.

You know birds didn't even cross my mind, I am sure they also have wild turkeys in Montana too that become roadkill.

Kevin

I think it is quite common in rural areas in the UK, to the point where they are "accidentally" killed on purpose. Of course, we don't have that many deer, and the sheep and cows are owned by farmers.
I certainly wouldn't mind eating roadkill, whether it was a bird or something larger.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby polarbuddha101 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:14 pm

No point in letting the poor animal's body go to waste.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Virgo wrote:
yawares wrote:Oh...I can't eat that kind of meat...never..never :thinking:

yawares

Hi Yawares. Generally, we are not talking about small game, such as squirrels, etc., but large game like deer, moose, elk, antilopes, etc. In many cases one animal can provide the meat portion for hundreds of meals. Do you think that should be left to rot? A bull moose may provide 300, or in some cases even over 500 pounds of meat. Do you know how many meals that is? Meals that no one has to intentionally kill an animal for? Lots!

Have a great day. :D

Kevin

Dear Kevin,

I think it's ok for some people...just not me..not me..I rather go hungry :tongue:

This is a beautiful Uposatha Day..indeed :anjali:
yawares
yawares

Postby yawares » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:I am a vegetarian, but I find this to be a good idea. There is definitely no intention of killing (as long it wasn't hit on-purpose), no factory farming, none of the breeding or anti-biotic fed animal issues; basically an 'organic' meat. I think it is a good idea, for those who like the taste of meat.

Dear David,

Now I know how men think different from women...I can bet with you that no women will eat that kind of meat (except those Amazon women :tongue: )

yawares :jumping:
yawares

Postby Justsit » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 pm

A classic by the Horseflies from 1993....

And don't forget to check out the menu at the Road Kill Cafe!
Justsit

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 pm

polarbuddha101 wrote:No point in letting the poor animal's body go to waste.

Agree.

yawares wrote:
Now I know how men think different from women...I can bet with you that no women will eat that kind of meat (except those Amazon women :tongue: )

yawares :jumping:

I think a lot of women really don't have a problem with it at all. For example, the following comment I just lifted off of the comments section to the article on the page where it is posted.

"When I was at college in a mountainous region full of wild deer, I had a dorm mate hit a deer with her truck. Because her father was a hunter, she knew exactly how to field dress the killed animal so that it's meat could be salvaged. Unfortunately, she did her field dressing in the girl's dorm common restroom and gave nightmares and heart attacks to the girls in their pajamas waking up in the middle of the night to go potty and coming upon a bloodied bathroom with girls with knifes and body parts. But the Dorm Crew came in the next morning to a pristine, super clean bathroom, and the girl went home with a freezer's worth of fresh deer meat.
Animals hit by cars are not as cleanly killed as animals shot, so bruising and internal bleeding could contaminate normally edible muscle tissue. That's why you have to field dress them to remove the colon and other damaged tissue before it can contaminate the rest of the body with the bacteria inside of it." - Valaria J.

To be clear, I am not encouraging people to eat roadkill. All I am saying is that I support this law being passed in Montana as it seems to work well in other States. There is no point in letting all that meat go to waste. And really, the more meat harvested in this manner, the less harvested from the end of a rifle.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby manas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 pm

A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

manas :anjali:
manas

Postby polarbuddha101 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:55 pm

manas wrote:A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

I could see how fencing off roads and building little arches/bridges that go over roads could provide safe passages for wildlife to just walk right over above the road but most taxpayers probably don't want to build bridges for the poor hapless deer and other animals.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby manas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 pm

polarbuddha101 wrote:
manas wrote:A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

I could see how fencing off roads and building little arches/bridges that go over roads could provide safe passages for wildlife to just walk right over above the road but most taxpayers probably don't want to build bridges for the poor hapless deer and other animals.

If our governments have billions or even trillions of taxpayers' dollars to spend on wars that, in the end, one wonders 'why did we do that?' or 'what has actually changed?' (apart from the bank balances of arms manufacturers, reconstruction companies, & oil and gas corporations of course), then surely a couple of billion to fix the roads shouldn't be too hard to find...should it?
manas

Postby polarbuddha101 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 pm

manas wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:

If our governments have billions or even trillions of taxpayers' dollars to spend on wars that, in the end, one wonders 'why did we do that?' or 'what has actually changed?' (apart from the bank balances of arms manufacturers, reconstruction companies, & oil and gas corporations of course), then surely a couple of billion to fix the roads shouldn't be too hard to find...should it?

No it should be easy to find but the problem is that most people just don't care enough to help the animals. I'm all for it but most people are probably indifferent or opposed to such use of taxpayer dollars except in the cases where keeping animals off the road makes the road safer for humans. So I guess that's the argument one would have to make to their government, that protecting the animals from our cars protects us and our cars from the associated dangers of hitting them with our cars.

polarbuddha101

Postby Virgo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 pm

What if an animal is being chased by another animal and, suddenly, comes to a roadway... and a fence, and it is now fenced in, it can't escape because the overpass is so many yards away. What do you think would happen to that animal? It would be killed. Why? Because people trapped it there by building those fences along the roadway. Perhaps, had there been no fence, that animal could have escaped, but there being a fence there, it cannot proceed. ;)

Besides deer can jump like an eight-foot fence. And there are many backroads in country areas with homes on them. It would be really alarming to have huge fences o many of these backroads that may also be connected to wooded areas, and so on. So it just wouldn't be feasable.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby James the Giant » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I've eaten plenty of roadkill.
In the 3 or 4 years I lived at a sort-of commune we ate a lot of roadkill possum, rabbit, and even once a cat. And before the animal-lovers get all shocked about eating someone's pet cat, NO, it was not a pet. It was a wild cat which lived on the farm.
The skins of the animals were cured and used to make an enormous fur bedspread.

Possum. Cute AND delicious.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Next

Return to Lounge