Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Read mo

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Polar Bear

Re: Roadkill For Dinner? Montana Wants To Make It Legal Rea

Post by Polar Bear »

manas wrote:A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

manas :anjali:
I could see how fencing off roads and building little arches/bridges that go over roads could provide safe passages for wildlife to just walk right over above the road but most taxpayers probably don't want to build bridges for the poor hapless deer and other animals.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
manas

Post by manas »

polarbuddha101 wrote:
manas wrote:A good idea, BUT I do wish that more effort was put in to safe places where wildlife can cross over roads, more warning signs for motorists, and such things, so that less wildlife gets hit and killed in the first place. We are the ones who came and built asphalt roads in their backyards, and who send tonnes of metal whizzing down them at speed, so we are the ones who ought to make those roads safer, for the wildlife as well as the humans.

I could see how fencing off roads and building little arches/bridges that go over roads could provide safe passages for wildlife to just walk right over above the road but most taxpayers probably don't want to build bridges for the poor hapless deer and other animals.
If our governments have billions or even trillions of taxpayers' dollars to spend on wars that, in the end, one wonders 'why did we do that?' or 'what has actually changed?' (apart from the bank balances of arms manufacturers, reconstruction companies, & oil and gas corporations of course), then surely a couple of billion to fix the roads shouldn't be too hard to find...should it?
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

manas wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:

If our governments have billions or even trillions of taxpayers' dollars to spend on wars that, in the end, one wonders 'why did we do that?' or 'what has actually changed?' (apart from the bank balances of arms manufacturers, reconstruction companies, & oil and gas corporations of course), then surely a couple of billion to fix the roads shouldn't be too hard to find...should it?
No it should be easy to find but the problem is that most people just don't care enough to help the animals. I'm all for it but most people are probably indifferent or opposed to such use of taxpayer dollars except in the cases where keeping animals off the road makes the road safer for humans. So I guess that's the argument one would have to make to their government, that protecting the animals from our cars protects us and our cars from the associated dangers of hitting them with our cars.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

What if an animal is being chased by another animal and, suddenly, comes to a roadway... and a fence, and it is now fenced in, it can't escape because the overpass is so many yards away. What do you think would happen to that animal? It would be killed. Why? Because people trapped it there by building those fences along the roadway. Perhaps, had there been no fence, that animal could have escaped, but there being a fence there, it cannot proceed. ;)

Besides deer can jump like an eight-foot fence. And there are many backroads in country areas with homes on them. It would be really alarming to have huge fences o many of these backroads that may also be connected to wooded areas, and so on. So it just wouldn't be feasable.

Kevin
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I've eaten plenty of roadkill.
In the 3 or 4 years I lived at a sort-of commune we ate a lot of roadkill possum, rabbit, and even once a cat. And before the animal-lovers get all shocked about eating someone's pet cat, NO, it was not a pet. It was a wild cat which lived on the farm.
The skins of the animals were cured and used to make an enormous fur bedspread.

Possum. Cute AND delicious.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
manas

Post by manas »

James the Giant wrote:I've eaten plenty of roadkill.
In the 3 or 4 years I lived at a sort-of commune we ate a lot of roadkill possum, rabbit, and even once a cat. And before the animal-lovers get all shocked about eating someone's pet cat, NO, it was not a pet. It was a wild cat which lived on the farm.

Hi James,

I agree that there's nothing morally wrong with eating an animal that one did not kill oneself, or order to be killed. But I still could not eat a possum after looking into those beautiful eyes!

Same goes for cows, sheep, pigs and chickens...if you actually look in to their eyes (while they are alive of course) you see that they are not that much different from ourselves. They want safety, food, shelter, to mate, and they care about their young.

But if you can stomach it, then yes 'waste not want not' ... :shrug:

kind regards :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Virgo wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:No point in letting the poor animal's body go to waste.
Agree.
yawares wrote:
Now I know how men think different from women...I can bet with you that no women will eat that kind of meat (except those Amazon women :tongue: )

yawares :jumping:
I think a lot of women really don't have a problem with it at all. For example, the following comment I just lifted off of the comments section to the article on the page where it is posted.

"When I was at college in a mountainous region full of wild deer, I had a dorm mate hit a deer with her truck. Because her father was a hunter, she knew exactly how to field dress the killed animal so that it's meat could be salvaged. Unfortunately, she did her field dressing in the girl's dorm common restroom and gave nightmares and heart attacks to the girls in their pajamas waking up in the middle of the night to go potty and coming upon a bloodied bathroom with girls with knifes and body parts. But the Dorm Crew came in the next morning to a pristine, super clean bathroom, and the girl went home with a freezer's worth of fresh deer meat.
Animals hit by cars are not as cleanly killed as animals shot, so bruising and internal bleeding could contaminate normally edible muscle tissue. That's why you have to field dress them to remove the colon and other damaged tissue before it can contaminate the rest of the body with the bacteria inside of it." - Valaria J.

To be clear, I am not encouraging people to eat roadkill. All I am saying is that I support this law being passed in Montana as it seems to work well in other States. There is no point in letting all that meat go to waste. And really, the more meat harvested in this manner, the less harvested from the end of a rifle.

Kevin
----------------
Dear Kevin,

I have a true story here: Years ago... my daughter used to date Dave, a 2nd year surgery resident(working together)...Oh I loved Dave at first sight, he was the son-in-law that I dreamt of...6' 3" tall/white/handsome/own big land in Pensylvania....8 months later, he went to hunt with his 3 doctor-friends..came back to the apartment with a big dead deer...blood all over the kitchen...my daughter came back from work...she was shocked...their relationship broke a week later...because he said he loved hunting and he would never change his mind/stop hunting !! He always came back to my daughter with big red rose-bouquets..but too late !!

Sad indeed, Dave was my most favorite among her boyfriends !!
yawares :cry:
plwk

Post by plwk »

Image No! No! NO! :mrgreen:
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Taking roadkill home to eat it would be a breech of the second precept. You are stealing food from the vultures. ;)
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

When I saw the title of this thread I laughed, and felt a little bit grossed out, the term roadkill brings to mind a flattened possum or hedgehog as is common sight on New Zealand roads. But an intact big stag, well, if I had a ute, I'd be there in a jiffy.
James the Giant wrote:I've eaten plenty of roadkill.

Raised my eyebrows there abit Jamie with the cat-eating. But I don't think any differently of you for it, it''s just making use of free nutrition. But the idea of eating a cat personally makes me feel queasy. I grew up with cats in the household and they were more or less a member of the family. It's interesting that we in the west find the eating of certain animals quite abhorrent, but understandable given the roles we give cats and dogs in our society.

It's just culture I guess. I would never eat a cat unless I had no other choice personally, but I am curious to know what it tasted like?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
manas

Post by manas »

BlackBird wrote: It's just culture I guess. I would never eat a cat unless I had no other choice personally, but I am curious to know what it tasted like?
Having seen some of the things my dear cat has eaten over the years (a variety of rodents; and I mean whole, fur, tails, bones and all), I could not bring myself to eat a cat. Or any carnivore for that matter. 'eww' The taste would possibly be influenced by what the cat ate while alive - 'you are what you eat' goes the old saying...

metta :anjali:
James the Giant

BlackBird wrote:curious to know what it tasted like?
Nothing special... A naughty woman served it to her husband without telling him what it was, and he thought it was tough lamb. We were scandalised that she didn't tell him until afterwards, but they know each other very well so I guess that was their business. He didn't mind, fortunately!

One third I put on pizza, one third I made into a curry, and the haunch I roasted with a sprig of wild rosemary, honey from our own bees, and a dash of soy sauce.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
James the Giant

I'd never east a domestic cat... Eew, they've been fed on pet-food! Nasty.
Mind you, muttonbirds are fed on nothing but vomit, and they taste sensational.
Then,
saturated with joy,
SN 9.11
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

yawares wrote:
Sounds good! Maybe she would have got sucked into hunting!

-Kevin
yawares

Post by yawares »

Virgo wrote:
yawares wrote:
Sounds good! Maybe she would have got sucked into hunting!

-Kevin
Dear Kevin,

No..never..my daughter is very kind !!!..She was shocked to see 4 doctors cut meat from the poor dead deer...not just the blood in the kitchen..but also the deer head on the kitchen counter...she couldn't believe that she fell in love with a handsome man who was so cruel to animals..love drinking Jack Daniel whiskey!! She ordered Dave to take all of the dead deer out of her apt./must call a professional cleaner immediately to clean the kitchen...OH SHE' S MORE DANGEROUS THAN ME !!

There is a true story about an FBI lady-agent went undercover to be with KKK people...she fell in love with a cute farm-owner who later she found out that he was a KKK member who killed many black men...she was so sad...her story became a hit movie BETRAYED starring: Tom Berenger/Debra Winger...very good movie*****

Dave is a real handsome guy with blue eyes/brown blond hair...if I were my daughter I would try to change him to be a Buddhist..I would take him to the temple to see the beautiful big Buddhas...I would try to change him to be a kind person...well they say love can do magic...love is a many splendor things...BUT THAT"S ME..my daughter doesn't have patience/time...she's a busy surgeon..she just cuts the bad things/bad men out of her life..

yawares :thinking: