Evicting a Possum

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Evicting a Possum

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

We've found that a possum has been sleeping behind the opaque screen in our brick fireplace during the daytime. Now the first really cold days are upon us and we want to light our fire. We understand that possums don't survive if shifted more than about 50 yards from their original nest due to the viscious territoriality of the other possums .... and so relocating possums is illegal.
But how to catch and coax the Ringtail possum into a new home in the tree beside the house? We're thinking about installing a possum box there.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Evicting a Possum

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris
Chris wrote:Now the first really cold days are upon us and we want to light our fire.
You banana-benders are funny!
But how to catch and coax the Ringtail possum into a new home in the tree beside the house? We're thinking about installing a possum box there.
Install a possum box in front of the fire, in the loungeroom. Make it feel part of the family!
Alternatively, keep the fire burning for a few days and it'll get the idea and move on.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Ben .... but seriously - Saturday is forecast to be 6C (42.8F) overnight. Brrrrrrr!
Maybe even a frost in the outlying areas! :shock:

It just seems unkind to evict another being and not provide shelter for it - I guess working with homeless women over the years has overly sensitised me to this.
Can't put the possum box inside .... the large territorial labrador won't allow it.
But I think there is a local supplier - and I've seen on the internet some instructions:
http://www.tvwc.org/HTML/living%20with%20possums.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the slang term for Tasmanians? I've only seen rude ones to do with Tasmanians having a large scar on one of their shoulders. :rofl:

metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Chris wrote:Thanks Ben .... but seriously - Saturday is forecast to be 6C (42.8F) overnight. Brrrrrrr!
Maybe even a frost in the outlying areas! :shock:
Doesn't seem to worry the ex-Aussie possums over here - they keep munching on our forests in all weathers. :popcorn:

Metta
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello mike,

Yes, the possums have thick fur coats. It was me I was worried about - not able to light the fire. :tongue:

How did the Aussie Possums get 'across the ditch'?

Hang on, a thought just struck me .... maybe my possum has cousins over near you .... what was your postal address again? :jumping:

metta
Chris
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Chris wrote: How did the Aussie Possums get 'across the ditch'?
Some idiot decided we needed a fur trade. :rolleye:

I'm sure possums are nice and cute back in Oz, but here they are a pest that, so if your friend comes over here, tell him/her to watch out for traps and poisoned carrots...

Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to VMC Kaukapakapa for a retreat and never seen so many possums in all my life. Not only that, given the friendly environment, they were as bold as brass.

Chris, one question my dear friend...
Does it snow??
If not, then its not cold!

As for Tasmanians, i think they must be related to banana benders because I think they're just as soft. Its positively t-shirt weather down here and these people wander around rugged up complaining of the 'cold'.

Chris, I hear what you are saying with regards to your concern regarding the possum. However, it is a wild animal that lives outdoors. It'll be ok. Trust me!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..