dealing with disruptions

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

dealing with disruptions

Postby K.Dhamma » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 am

So basically I am just curious what everyone does when they are disrupted during meditation. So to be more specific

When you are interrupted during meditation and you MUST get up to eliminate/pacify disruption what do you do?

Me personally I have a dog that gets "barky" sometimes. If I had been really deep and was startled I just resume another time. Especially if it is late at night and I plan on going to bed soon anyways.

So, what do all of you do?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
K.Dhamma

Re: dealing with disruptions

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 am

I try to treat it as just another part of the meditative process. I do formal walking and sitting meditation, to getting up to deal with some disruption is just another mindful walk (in principle, at least, not always in practice). If I'm sitting I don't just jump up, but try to note the mindstates and thoughts generated by the interruption before mindfully moving...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Re: dealing with disruptions

Postby marc108 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:32 am

when i must get up, for example to go to the bathroom, i make sure to keep my mindfulness with my breath or in my walking. as far as disturbances like noise... i actually had ran into a problem where any disturbance would totally disrupt my meditation. if i had earplugs on, was totally undisturbed, etc i was able to develop good Samadhi but only with 'perfect' conditions. recently i've purposefully been focusing on the 'stability' of my meditation vs the 'depth'... got rid of the earplugs, and I'll often sit outside, or in my car at school with the windows cracked, so that I can get some disruption on -purpose-. This has been a really valuable practice for me and has really enhanced my meditation practice.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Return to Theravada Meditation