Getting used to sobriety

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sadge

Getting used to sobriety

Post by Sadge »

I've been sober for 6 weeks. Don't think I've ever been sober that long since I was 16, 13 if you count nicotine (28 now). It's weird! Very weird. I come from English binge drinking culture and was into the rave scene for many years, I didn't think smoking weed and taking benzos was really drug taking :-\ This new life is weird. That's all I have to say.
Hickersonia

Re: Getting used to sobriety

Post by Hickersonia »

Sadge wrote:I've been sober for 6 weeks. Don't think I've ever been sober that long since I was 16, 13 if you count nicotine (28 now). It's weird! Very weird. I come from English binge drinking culture and was into the rave scene for many years, I didn't think smoking weed and taking benzos was really drug taking :-\ This new life is weird. That's all I have to say.
This is awesome news, friend. :)

I drank until about 15 months ago and I can attest that it only gets stranger -- but good strange. It can be amazing to live without fuzz on the brain, if you want it to be.

Be well being sober!
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Sobering up and coming to the Dhmma were the two best decisions I've ever made. I wish you every success! :anjali: :heart:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
manas

Post by manas »

Sadge wrote:I've been sober for 6 weeks. Don't think I've ever been sober that long since I was 16, 13 if you count nicotine (28 now). It's weird! Very weird. I come from English binge drinking culture and was into the rave scene for many years, I didn't think smoking weed and taking benzos was really drug taking :-\ This new life is weird. That's all I have to say.
Firstly, well done on your achievement of 6 weeks of sobriety. :thumbsup: This is something to feel good about, to take satisfaction in. Now, try to steady & maintain it, so it can continue into the future.

Regarding that perception of 'weirdness', that's the label your mind is putting on it today. But sometime in the future, it might put a different label on the experience. You might perceive this new state as 'clarity' or 'increased peace of mind'. Now this is not to judge your current reaction; indeed I can relate to a 'coming down' effect, where after a period of taking a particular intoxicant, if one suddenly stops, one can feel a bit strange for a while. This will pass. Remember that not only your mind, but your body also would still be doing some 'house cleaning' at present. When we actually stop putting a particular toxin into the body, the body shifts from coping, to cleansing mode. This period can be a little uncomfortable, but there are definitely brighter times ahead, don't worry. :smile:

Others here might be able to offer more specific advice, I actually never did intoxicants for years at at time, it was more for a few months here and there; however I still can attest to an uncomfortable stage of detox. That's pretty universal, differing only by degree, afaik.

Long-term, to stay clear of them, you have to find ways to feel good without them, and by 'feel good' I refer to the kinds of things that relieve the monotony of mundane existence for a while. Things like exercise, certain endorphin-stimulating natural foods, and even laughter and friendship (though you might need to watch in what situations you look for that now), can take us out of the ordinary, and give us a natural 'high' that is healthy and produced by our own body, not by any external agent. And finally, meditation, to whatever extent you can cultivate it, will begin to give your mind more and more clarity, to the point that one day, the temptation to indulge will not even arise anymore - because you will then perceive intoxicants as leading to stress and suffering, and will naturally wish to avoid them.

Keep up the good work,

manas :anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

:clap:

Congrats on your 6 weeks !
I know a little about where you are, after decades of drug and alcohol use i remember the first few months to a year being very interesting :) All the emotions and fear of life in general that i used to medicate now had to be faced. You dont have to do it alone tho. Find an AA group in your area and you will find other people who have gone through exactly what is going on with you now, they will be your best allies in staying clean. Also do the steps, they work. Good Luck :heart:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Digity

Post by Digity »

Congrats! Keep it up! The biggest challenge I've found with giving up alcohol is how others react. Those who drink don't like to hear that you don't drink and they take it personally like you're judging them for drinking. :|
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Morlock, thanks for your kind reply. Just want to point out that I don't need to go to AA meetings! I was never an alcoholic, pothead yes, but I have not smoked weed for 6 months. I think my situation is quite a lot like growing up too *rolls eyes*, getting towards my 30's, I want a more stable life.

Thanks for saying 6 weeks is half decent, the mind is judging this as 'not being long enough' silly brain. Your all right though it is a good start.

Also glad people can relate to others judging them. Most people have said well done, others have judged and said it is strange (jealously perhaps)

Manas! Clearly my new dhamma buddy :-) your right the weirdness is a label imposed by the mind and I am looking forward to it changing to clarity of mind or something like that. That would be good for that to happen. Guess we can all get used to the most strange of situations.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Sorry, my mistake. I thot if you hadnt been sober for more than 6 weeks at a time in the last 12 years you might have a problem.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

No no real dependency apart from weed. I've taken a lot of different drugs, so quite hard to become dependant on one when you mix and match.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sadge wrote:No no real dependency apart from weed. I've taken a lot of different drugs, so quite hard to become dependant on one when you mix and match.
Doesn't really matter if it's ten or one - as long as one is dependent on drugs as such ...
:juggling:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Sorry binocular I don't really understand your post. Internet can be a bit like that eh.
binocular

Post by binocular »

One might not be dependent on a particular drug, and that may give one the impression that one isn't dependent at all.
But if one has the tendency to use drugs, even if one consumes a great variety of them, that is still dependency.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Oh I see. Yeah you could argue I was dependant on drugs generally. Thankfully not anymore.

It is surprising how much calmer my mind is now. Plus the thought of the taste of alcohol feels a bit disgusting. Result.
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Still going, getting used to it more now. Just watching thoughts of 'one won't hurt'. Minds also saying 'wish it was longer' just noticing the desire for a longer time sober.

Why does nicotine count as an intoxicating substance? It doesn't have any recreational value (as in it doesn't get you high, drunk, euphoric, sleepy)..
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Sadge wrote:Still going, getting used to it more now. Just watching thoughts of 'one won't hurt'. Minds also saying 'wish it was longer' just noticing the desire for a longer time sober.

Why does nicotine count as an intoxicating substance? It doesn't have any recreational value (as in it doesn't get you high, drunk, euphoric, sleepy)..
I'm pretty sure It doesn't, as far as keeping the 5 precepts is concerned.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26