if you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kare

Re: if you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by Kare »

Peter wrote:It doesn't take much to turn the OP into a realistic question:

"What do you think is the single most important question you could ask a wise teacher?"
Which is quite another situation.
Far from being a useless question I have found it to be very relevant. When I get an opportunity to talk with Bhikkhu Bodhi I have time enough for one direct question. As much as I'd like to sit and chat with him for an hour or three I am simply not given that opportunity. Or if a monk is traveling giving lectures to a crowd I am lucky if I get called on during the question & answer period. Again, no chance for lots of back and forth or multiple questions. I have a single opportunity and I have to make it count.
But is this really a realistic scenario? Would a really wise teacher give you an answer without knowing you well - without knowing your strong and weak sides, without knowing your past progress, your successes and your failures? A teacher who has not yet had time got get acquainted with his students, can of course give good general instructions. But in order to give a real meaningful answer about what is right for just you, he would need time to get to know you. And during that time you could, and should, ask him many questions.

Therefore this situation of putting a single question to a wise teacher, is a mirage. If a teacher really ventures to give you personal guidance without knowing you well, you may rightly doubt his wisdom ...

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

It's a good point, about what you might do with an opportunity.

I had a very short personal interview with a highly regarded teacher and I could have asked virtually anything.
I so totally blew it! It's okay though, it's where I was at. At least I got to chat with her :)

I don't mind the OP question. For me it was a happy thought, and even a useful exploration of what's important to me right now.

Best,
Drolma
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Kare wrote:But is this really a realistic scenario? Would a really wise teacher give you an answer without knowing you well[?]
I think the answer is yes. To believe otherwise it to believe Buddhist scriptures are of no value. If you believe good instruction can only come from a personal relationship with a teacher then I guess that is one thing. But in my experience the teachings as they are recorded in the scriptures have served me really well. The times I have had questions or confusions I have been fortunate enough to have a teacher bring me clarification by pulling the right bit out of the scriptures, something perhaps I hadn't yet read or something I had forgotten.
But in order to give a real meaningful answer about what is right for just you, he would need time to get to know you.
I have found I am not special, my problems and difficulties are no different than other people's problems and difficulties. The five hindrances seem to cover everything that hinders, suffering always seems to come from craving, there don't seem to be any more delusions than the four, etc.
Therefore this situation of putting a single question to a wise teacher, is a mirage. If a teacher really ventures to give you personal guidance without knowing you well, you may rightly doubt his wisdom
If that has been your experience then what can I say? My experience has been different.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ngawang Drolma.

Though I described that one incident where I blew it with that teacher, I've also had the experience that Peter describes. And I was so grateful!

It is noteworthy too what Peter wrote about what the scriptures tell us, about what the Buddha did for people.

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

clw_uk wrote:Is it selfish to seek nibbana?
Nobody said it was selfish to seek nibbana. Jeez.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

jcsuperstar wrote:if you could ask the Buddha one question, what would it be?
Just checking to make sure I understood the question in the OP correctly.

Looks like some folks think it reads: "If someone besides you could ask the Buddha one question, what should that person ask?" That's a question about which I have no opinion, although it's clear to me that that's the question some here in this thread are trying to answer.

As for myself, me, personally, the first thing I'd do is bow down. I'd listen hard. I'd learn as much as possible. But if I were to ask a question, the very first question out of my mouth probably would be: Would you take me as your disciple? And if that was not the first question, then it would be: What can I do to help?

I'm just being honest here. For me personally, this would be the best question. You all may judge me as you wish (and at least two of you already have), but I cannot think of a different question I would rather ask. I don't have a lot of questions. I don't want to ask about rebirth. I don't want to ask about rules. I don't want to ask about any kind of random thought that might cross my mind. In the presence of the Buddha, I'd want to act, to listen, to be open, to be still. And if there's something I could do to help, I'd want to do that, first and foremost. If that's stupid, so be it. If I'd lose my golden opportunity, so be it.

What in the world is so objectionable about this personal observation? This is simply my answer to the OP. Sorry for participating.
Ngawang Drolma.

Jechbi I'd love to have the opportunity to be able to do something for the Buddha too. Anything. What an opportunity that would be!

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:Looks like some folks think it reads: "If someone besides you could ask the Buddha one question, what should that person ask?" That's a question about which I have no opinion, although it's clear to me that that's the question some here in this thread are trying to answer.
Actually, all that is happening is that some people are giving their opinion of other people's answers. As this is a discussion forum, that seems like a perfectly acceptable thing to do.
if I were to ask a question, the very first question out of my mouth probably would be: Would you take me as your disciple? And if that was not the first question, then it would be: What can I do to help?
Those seem to me good questions. I imagine if you were already awakened he'd say you could help by teaching others; and if you were not yet awakened he'd say you could help by striving to awaken. The less greed, hatred, and delusion in the world the better for everyone. :woohoo:
What in the world is so objectionable about this personal observation? This is simply my answer to the OP. Sorry for participating.
Nothing whatsoever. It's a nice observation.

What is objectionable is to say that asking the Buddha what he needs is the best question on could ask and that asking a question related to one's personal practice is selfish. That is objectionable; it seems to show a lack of understanding of the Buddha's teachings.
- Peter

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

What is objectionable is to say that asking the Buddha what he needs is the best question on could ask and that asking a question related to one's personal practice is selfish. That is objectionable; it seems to show a lack of understanding of the Buddha's teachings.

Unless one follows Mahayana?
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

clw_uk wrote:

Unless one follows Mahayana?
Whether one is thinking of a Mahayana model or a Theravada model it is the attitude of our intention that counts and not so much whether we ask for help or offer it.

:smile:
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Peter,
Peter wrote:What is objectionable is to say that asking the Buddha what he needs is the best question on could ask and that asking a question related to one's personal practice is selfish. That is objectionable; it seems to show a lack of understanding of the Buddha's teachings.
Unfortunately it appears you did not read carefully what I wrote.

For me this discussion has been unpleasant.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Jechbi wrote:
Peter wrote:What is objectionable is to say that asking the Buddha what he needs is the best question on could ask and that asking a question related to one's personal practice is selfish.
Unfortunately it appears you did not read carefully what I wrote.
Fair enough. Here's what you wrote:
Jechbi wrote:
Kare wrote:"How can I help you, my friend?"
I think that's the best question possible.
I was going to say, "May I sit with you, Bhante?" But Kare's question snaps into focus just how selfish my question would be.
Perhaps you could clarify? Show me the difference between what you wrote and what I wrote?
- Peter

jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i dont want to get into this fight but we should all know by now what help the buddha would need, maybe a drink of water, or if it's the right time some food. a cushion (maybe?) if you've got one....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
phil

Post by phil »

Hi all.

Sorry, I haven't read the thread.

I'd ask him for the most suitable meditation topic for weakening the power of my defilements, which he would be able to read in detail thanks to his infinite wisdom.

Metta,

phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

After continued thought, I'd like to revise my stance.
Jechbi wrote:
Kare wrote:"How can I help you, my friend?"
I think that's the best question possible.
I think for some people this will be the best question possible and for other people there are better questions.
Jechbi wrote:I was going to say, "May I sit with you, Bhante?" But Kare's question snaps into focus just how selfish my question would be.
I think some people might ask this question with a selfish mind and others might ask it with a selfless mind. If, Jechbi, Kare's question made you aware of selfishness arising in your mind then that is praiseworthy.
- Peter