Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

Postby Uilium » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey there,
One can get special powers through mindfulness? That's the first time I ever heard mindfulness could do that.If someone has these powers, it only proves that one is very proficient in mindfulness of conceptual reality, ultimate reality or both? I guess I always just assumed "powers" could only come from samadhi concentration but I don't know -Thanks
Uilium

Re: Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

Postby Timpan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:39 am

We have people our temple " meditation group" who have developed some skills or powers but this is usually from attaining higher levels of jhanas. I can not give you say if this is possible only with mindfulness but what i do know is that mindfulness leads to higher concentration and that can result in developing such.
Timpan

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 am

Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.

I thought traditionally special powers were associated with attaining the jhanas?
Well, oi dunno...
Spiny Norman

Postby Zom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:21 pm

I thought traditionally special powers were associated with attaining the jhanas?

This is because jhanas are the states of the supreme mindfulness .)

PS: 4 foundations of mindfulness (satipatthanas) are said to be "samadhi nimittas" in the suttas, that is, "themes" or "objects" of the mind in samadhi.
Zom

Postby Digity » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.
Digity

Postby polarbuddha101 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:34 am

Digity wrote:Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.

The foremost power indeed.

:goodpost:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby reflection » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 am

It already starts with the power to be mindful. Quite a special one, already.
reflection

Postby marc108 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Digity wrote:Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.

:twothumbsup: indeed!
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Greetings,

polarbuddha101 wrote:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby PadmaPhala » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.

indeed, but how is mind reading useful for the practice?
PadmaPhala

Postby SarathW » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Some info from a very valuable source:

http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Cul ... Formations
SarathW

Postby Strive4Karuna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Yes. 100 % Possible. I have "gifts" which are underdeveloped which become stronger through mindfulness and meditation.
Strive4Karuna

Postby Strive4Karuna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Let me tell you what these "powers' are. It is us becoming closer to what we really are. It is not something "special". When we meditate and are mindful, we return to our "normal" state. These "powers" are acquired by returning to who we really are, so it is not us "gaining" these powers, It is us "returning" to these powers we already have. A quote that I have read that is true, "We are not human beings having spiritual experiences, We are spiritual beings having human experiences."
Strive4Karuna

Postby Strive4Karuna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Strive4Karuna wrote:Yes. 100 % Possible. I have "gifts" which are underdeveloped which become stronger through mindfulness and meditation.

Im sorry but realized this said "through mindfulness" not through "mindfulness and or meditation". I know for sure through the combination of both yes it is possible. Through mindfulness a lone? Im not sure.
Strive4Karuna

Postby Strive4Karuna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Be VERY AWARE, not to get corrupted by powers. We do not pratice in order to gain special powers to think we are better then everybody else. NO. Everybody has the potential to gain these powers but we pratice in order to end our suffering and attain the ultimate goal. NOT, to gain special powers. Remember this!!
Strive4Karuna

Postby Uilium » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:21 am

Zom wrote:

This is because jhanas are the states of the supreme mindfulness .)

PS: 4 foundations of mindfulness (satipatthanas) are said to be "samadhi nimittas" in the suttas, that is, "themes" or "objects" of the mind in samadhi.

Oh yeah right. I mean mindfulness mindfulness...I mean mindfulness where you concentrate on reality instead of concept
Uilium

Postby Uilium » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:30 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

polarbuddha101 wrote:

Metta,
Retro. :)

Yes...well maybe being able to be mindful on the first breath in the morning until you fall asleep?
Uilium

Postby Crazy cloud » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 am

After an experience of what somebody call "meditation madness" (and let the mind cool down isolated from other people), I'v had a period of a couple of months of a special mindful state. Could "read minds" by just watching the "non-verbal language", and it was very interesting to have that ability, but also a little disturbing. Disturbing, because it gave a certain feeling of being able to control other people. It's facinating to just watch the other persons changing "masks" to accomodate all different personal situations and needs, and to be able to "see" what is really going on in their ordinary minds.

But all of this wasn't to me, a "special power", it was just a period of "extreme" and stable mindfulness.

:candle:
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Return to Theravada Meditation