Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Uilium

Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

Post by Uilium »

Hey there,
One can get special powers through mindfulness? That's the first time I ever heard mindfulness could do that.If someone has these powers, it only proves that one is very proficient in mindfulness of conceptual reality, ultimate reality or both? I guess I always just assumed "powers" could only come from samadhi concentration but I don't know -Thanks
Timpan

Re: Can one get special powers through mindfulness?

Post by Timpan »

We have people our temple " meditation group" who have developed some skills or powers but this is usually from attaining higher levels of jhanas. I can not give you say if this is possible only with mindfulness but what i do know is that mindfulness leads to higher concentration and that can result in developing such.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.
I thought traditionally special powers were associated with attaining the jhanas?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Zom

Post by Zom »

I thought traditionally special powers were associated with attaining the jhanas?
This is because jhanas are the states of the supreme mindfulness .)

PS: 4 foundations of mindfulness (satipatthanas) are said to be "samadhi nimittas" in the suttas, that is, "themes" or "objects" of the mind in samadhi.
Digity

Post by Digity »

Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Digity wrote:Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.
The foremost power indeed.

:goodpost:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
reflection

Post by reflection »

It already starts with the power to be mindful. Quite a special one, already.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Digity wrote:Yes, special power is developing awareness and understanding what's going on in your mind to put an end to suffering.

:twothumbsup: indeed!
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
polarbuddha101 wrote:
The foremost power indeed.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PadmaPhala

Post by PadmaPhala »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Yes, there's a discourse in the scriptures where it is said that the practice of mindfulness can lead to mind reading.
indeed, but how is mind reading useful for the practice?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Some info from a very valuable source:

http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Mahasi/Cul ... Formations
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Yes. 100 % Possible. I have "gifts" which are underdeveloped which become stronger through mindfulness and meditation.
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Let me tell you what these "powers' are. It is us becoming closer to what we really are. It is not something "special". When we meditate and are mindful, we return to our "normal" state. These "powers" are acquired by returning to who we really are, so it is not us "gaining" these powers, It is us "returning" to these powers we already have. A quote that I have read that is true, "We are not human beings having spiritual experiences, We are spiritual beings having human experiences."
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

Strive4Karuna wrote:Yes. 100 % Possible. I have "gifts" which are underdeveloped which become stronger through mindfulness and meditation.
Im sorry but realized this said "through mindfulness" not through "mindfulness and or meditation". I know for sure through the combination of both yes it is possible. Through mindfulness a lone? Im not sure.