Essence of the Buddha's teachings?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Lazy_eye

Re: Essence of the Buddha's teachings?

Post by Lazy_eye »

Being able to state a teaching clearly and simply is not the same thing as putting it into practice. Even were we to agree that "Buddhism is simple: just drop your attachments and notions of self", how many of us could say we're even close to bringing that about?

Laziness or bad faith is seen when one equates declaring the goal of the path with actually having achieved that goal.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

In my original post I don't mean to say that any part of the eight-fold path is not essential. We must practice all of eight-fold path, no doubt. But then there is also a hierarchy of practice as mentioned in Cula Saropama Sutta. Here the Buddha says:
"Brahman, this holy life doesn't have as its reward gain, offerings, & fame, doesn't have as its reward consummation of virtue, doesn't have as its reward consummation of concentration, doesn't have as its reward knowledge & vision [ñāṇadassanā], but the unprovoked awareness-release [akuppā cetovimutti]: That is the purpose of this holy life, that is its heartwood, that its final end."
So the highest purpose of holy life, according to this sutta, is akuppā cetovimutti which is to be realized in jhanas after ñāṇadassanā. If I am right Bahiya and Malunkyaputta sutta fall under ñāṇadassanā. So, the teachings to Bahiya, and Malunkyaputta are not the end in themselves. I am a bit confused, but I guess it is correct to say that ñāṇadassanā and jhanas constitute "the essence of" higher-level teachings for the purpose of the holy life.
But again this particular sutta could be tailored by the Buddha to Piṅgalakoccha. And as said before maybe we cannot generalize.
Samma

Post by Samma »

Some other translation of akuppa-ceto-vimutti are: steadfast/unshakable deliverance/freedom/release of mind
i.e. asava free mind of arahant.

As I suggested on the first page, Bahiya story is essentially one of dispassion (viraga), leading to knowledge & vision of release (vimutti-nana-dassana). I'd say that is comparable to the above. Not sure exact relation between viraga and knowledge and vision, but they seem to be pretty catch all terms.

Here is another telling:
Discipline is for the sake of restraint, restraint for the sake of freedom from remorse, freedom from remorse for the sake of joy, joy for the sake of rapture, rapture for the sake of tranquility, tranquility for the sake of pleasure, pleasure for the sake of concentration, concentration for the sake of knowledge and vision of things as they have come to be, knowledge and vision of things as they have come to be for the sake of disenchantment, disenchantment for the sake of dispassion, dispassion for the sake of release, release for the sake of knowledge and vision of release, knowledge and vision of release for the sake of total unbinding through non-clinging. — Pv.XII.2

I don't think Theravadins care much for talk of higher level teachings, as other sects might of secret teachigns and such. As others have said, better to talk about what teaching is appropriate to the individual. There is a graudal path, and for whatever reason (wisdom), some skip steps or go though them quickly.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In spite of my earlier post about different teachings, techniques for different folks, personalities; I find myself looking for the essence too :tongue: or at least for what works for me.

Another good teaching / list from the suttas that seems to really get to the heart of the practice and teachings is the 37 factors ("wings") of enlightenment. An analysis of it by Buddhaghosa revealed several recurring concepts running through the 37:

saddha (2 times) [faith, confidence]
samādhi (4 times) [concentration, tranquility]
paññā (5 times) [wisdom]
sati (8 times) [mindfulness]
viriya (9 times) [energy]

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhipakkhiyadhamma
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Sankhitta is brief and seems more complete to me ( brahma viharas and 4 foundations of mindfulness mastered in terms of the Jhana levels)

Sankhitta Sutta: In Brief
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
May the Blessed One teach me the Dhamma in brief.....then monk you should train yourself thus

I am sure there is briefer sutta, but I think this is the essence:
Mn 24
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .html#fn-3
When asked if the holy life is lived under the Blessed One for the sake of purity in terms of virtue, you say, 'No, my friend.' When asked if the holy life is lived under the Blessed One for the sake of purity in terms of concentration... view... the overcoming of perplexity... knowledge & vision, you say, 'No, my friend.'

For the sake of what, then, my friend, is the holy life lived under the Blessed One?

The holy life is lived under the Blessed One, my friend, for the sake of total Unbinding through lack of clinging.

Buddhism should be called "Letting-Go-ism" :)
Digity

Post by Digity »

Isn't the essence of Buddhism obvious? It's release from suffering. That theme is carried throughout his teachings.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks for the question. I say definitely yes. I came to this conclusion through my meditation.
But it took me years of study and meditation to realise this though many teachers say this to me many times.
That is the only difference. :)
Please don't get me wrong. I am not an Arahant :)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

How could the essence of the Buddha's teachings be anything other than the Four Noble Truths?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Blackbird
This is how I see it. Say you want to go sky diving. You get in to the plane with all gear and ready to jump and hanging to the bar outside the plane.
You have to let the hands go off the bar to accomplish it.
Letting go is the essence. :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

This talk of "essence" is somewhat ironic given that sabbe dhamma anatta.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Retro.
Agree. let go off that too.

By the way glad to see you back. :)
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

There's nothing about letting go that makes it unique to the Buddha's teachings Sarathw. Anyone can practice meditation and letting go.
Only people trying to understand the Buddha's teachings make an effort to try and comprehend the Four Noble Truths.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think the traditional way of practice is to develop the jhānas first, then insight, but the teaching of bare-awareness was given to individuals who wanted to develop insight in the shortest possible time.

The Elder Poṭhila (empty-headed Poṭhila) had been teaching the Dhamma to others and was a well-respected teacher with hundreds of disciples, many of whom were Arahants.

Bahiya was an experienced ship's captain who had been ship-wrecked, and was the only one to escape with his life. He then travelled right across India to meet the Buddha after hearing about his Enlightenment.

Mālukyaputta was already 80 years of age when he ordained.

All of them would have had a great sense of urgency to gain insight, due to not expecting to live for much longer.

Nowadays, many who take up meditation practice have limited time available for practice. They must earn a living and look after their families, or if they are young, they may be pursuing University degrees with a view to having good career prospects. There are few who are able or willing to renounce and become monks or nuns.

Even among monastics, many of us feel the need to study and teach to preserve the true Dhamma before the practical knowledge of insight meditation is lost.

The Venerable Mahāsī Sayādaw taught the Mālukyaputta Sutta repeatedly and in many places. The practice of bare awareness is the most vital teaching for those who have limited time to devote to meditation. Others may have more time to develop samatha practices before proceeding to vipassanā.
Excellent post, Bhante.
alan...

Re: Essence of the Buddha's teachings

Post by alan... »

SamKR wrote:Thank you, Mike for the link.
But the question is still there. These suttas seem to be the actual "meditation" instructions, and they are, of course, in line with MahaSatipatthana Sutta.
i'm conflicted on this being in line with mahasatipatthana. obviously it's not OUT of line with it, but are they identical? i wonder if, as others have said, the refrain of the satipatthana suttas is actually a step by step process and "or else mindfulness that 'there is a body' is simply established in him to the extent necessary for bare knowledge and mindfulness" is the final step, in which case it sounds quite similar to these suttas you are referencing.

however "contemplating in the body it's nature of arising" (the beginning of the refrain and "first step" if you're seeing it that way) doesn't sound like there is JUST the body, but rather a viewing of it's arising and falling. but then again, this leading to the final step, they are one and the same.

who knows though? i'm conflicted on the whole thing clearly, and i'm no expert. just my thoughts.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BlackBird wrote:There's nothing about letting go that makes it unique to the Buddha's teachings Sarathw. Anyone can practice meditation and letting go.
Only people trying to understand the Buddha's teachings make an effort to try and comprehend the Four Noble Truths.
I agree with you. That is the preparation for the final jump. You have to let go of it ,for diving to Nirvana. :)