Purification of Mind

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
gdgraebner

Purification of Mind

Post by gdgraebner »

Two questions:

1) How does one properly purify the mind?
2) How does one assess progress in that effort?

Many thanks,
Glen
chris98e

Re: Purification of Mind

Post by chris98e »

gdgraebner wrote:Two questions:

1) How does one properly purify the mind?
2) How does one assess progress in that effort?

Many thanks,
Glen
The answer to the first question is simple: by refraining from doing evil.
The answer to the second quesion is difficult. I won't give an answer to the second question becuase I don't feel that I am qualified to give an answer to the second question.
:anjali:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

For #2, the Eight Worldly Winds (or Eight Worldly Conditions) would be pretty good tests to assess one's progress..
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

So chris98e, it would be right effort, right speech, and right action?
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

So santa100, you say a good measurement would be a "mind not consumed" by the eight worldly vicissitudes?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

I think the more one cultivates, the less one will be affected by those winds. So, it's like a spectrum where one end is for one who has absolutely no training and thus suffer the most. On the other end is the enlightened one who'll remain steady no matter how hard those winds blow. In between those 2 ends are various segments corresponding to various degrees of progress along the path..
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

Santa100, that is very good.

Now, is that the only way to measure purification of mind? What about someone who has renounced the world and lives in solitude? This person would not have the opportunity to experience the 8 vicissitudes. How does he/she assess purification of mind?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Of course not. Those who renounce can dedicate all their energy for training and thus would have to face much tougher tests. These tests won't be just those occasional winds, but every single instance of thought happening in their mind. Remember it's not easy living in seclusion. One constantly face dangers of all kinds large and small (insect bites, wild animals, extreme weathers, hunger, diseases, etc..)
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

Living amongst people can be difficult as well. I've heard it said that the home life is a breeding ground for the defilements.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sure, there's that common stock phrase in the suttas: "it's not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair & beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness". However, it wouldn't be a good idea for one to just head straight into the jungle by himself. In MN 4 ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html ), the Buddha describes to a brahmin the qualities required of a monk who wishes to live alone in the forest. He then relates an account of his own attempts to conquer fear when striving for enlightenment..
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

gdgraebner wrote:So chris98e, it would be right effort, right speech, and right action?
For which number? Number 1 or number 2?
:buddha1:
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

Yes, number 1 - purification of mind. The three paths that include morality (i.e. not doing of evil).
gdgraebner

Post by gdgraebner »

Perhaps the entire eightfold path is purification of mind. Morality leads to concentration leads to wisdom which is another term for purity.
chris98e

Post by chris98e »

gdgraebner wrote:Perhaps the entire eightfold path is purification of mind. Morality leads to concentration leads to wisdom which is another term for purity.
Sorry that I left this thread hanging for about a year. But recently I took out the long discourses Nikaya and here I am. To tell you the truth to say that just to do right will lead to Nibbana is a little naïve, unless it's a monk. But then again I'm not somebody who should be giving a monk lessons on morality. As for a lay person I think that just to do right and you'll reach Nibbana is a little naïve. As for the eight fold path. Yeah follow the eight food path and that should lead to Nibbana. :anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

B. Application in practice
1.Root condition. Buddhist training is directed towards eliminating the defilements (kilesaa). The foremost defilements are the three unwholesome roots — greed, hate, and delusion. From these spring others: conceit (maana), speculative views (di.t.thi), skeptical doubt (vicikicchaa), mental torpor (thiina), restlessness (uddhacca), shamelessness (ahirika), lack of moral fear or conscience (anottappa). These defilements function at three levels:

A.Transgression (viitikkama) leading to evil bodily and verbal acts. This is checked by the practice of morality, observing the five precepts.

B.Obsession (pariyu.t.thaana) when the defilements come to the conscious level and threaten to lead to transgression if not restrained by the practice of mindfulness.

C.Latency (anusaya) where they remain as tendencies ready to surface through the impact of sensory stimuli. Security from the defilements can be obtained only by destroying the three roots — greed, hate and delusion — at the level of latency. This requires insight-wisdom (vipassanaa-paññaa), the decisive liberating factor in Buddhism.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el322.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”