Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Goofaholix » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Jhana4 wrote:People end up eating all of their food clumped together. I don't think that is good for a person's blood sugar, health, energy levels or clarity of mind.

In my experience I feel much more healthy eating once a day.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Greetings,

My experience is in accordance with Goof's.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Alobha » Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

Jhana4 wrote:I don't think it works so well in reality, in modern times for ordinary people ( not meditating 8 or more hours a day ).
People end up eating all of their food clumped together. I don't think that is good for a person's blood sugar, health, energy levels or clarity of mind.

When you eat may be as important as what you eat - By Peter Janiszewski, Ph.D.
The study has its limitations, but it shows that the matter is not as clear as nutritionists sometimes show it to be. Giving the stomach and the lever an extended time of the day to rest and repair itself may actually be very good for one's health! :smile:
Alobha

Postby manas » Tue May 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all,

rather than start a new thread, thought it would be better to report a few things here. Over the last year, I have gradually striven to get control over eating, in the sense of knowing when I've had enough, and trying to stop at that moment, rather than continuing on due to enjoying the taste. With that gradual preparation, over the last week I'm once again attempting the extra step of basically eating breakfast, then lunch, but no dinner. (If I do have something at night, if the process is unsettling me too much, I have something very light and easily digestible, so that the anxiety is quelled, but the digestion is not taxed.) Here's what I am noticing, real observations: I sleep better, without the usual interruptions due to food fermenting away in my gut while the rest of the body tries to get some rest; mindfulness is a little easier to establish and maintain, as well as being a bit clearer; and sexual lust is easier to keep under control. (Note, I said 'easier' and not easy - but any help is better than none! :) )

I'm finding so far that on two meals a day - having a decent breakfast, then lunch, and avoiding junk like sugary foods (getting there), and instead having balanced and healthy meals as much as possible - that I'm not feeling weak (I did in the first few days, but that's almost gone now); rather I'm feeling normal but just more calm, and so far, I like this.

(And by the way, I advise everyone to get a decent water purifier, so that one can make oneself herbal teas, and other sustaining drinks, or even just enjoy water without the toxic substance sodium flouride that many governments now put into it - your body will thank you. :smile: )

_/I\_
Primum non nocere: "first, do no harm."
manas

Postby GirlBoyGirl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:42 am

This is a really interesting thread. There is NO way I could get my husband on board with this but it is interesting to say the least. I don't know how my body would handle one meal a day. I usually eat the frequent small meals a day or I get weak/dizzy.

On an unrelated note, I love Goofaholix's Syd the Science Kid avatar! :)
GirlBoyGirl

Postby harveysmith27 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 am

If you are trying to lose weight, you may be tempted to eat just one meal a day.
You're likely to lose weight -- at least initially. But it's also likely that you'll be hungry.
harveysmith27

Postby mirco » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 pm

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food? Is there some inherent virtue in this practice? Thanks

What makes you think that it's unhealthy? Personal experience?
I once did it for one month and I never in my whole life had more energy every day that in that period.

It's a energy thing. Up to a certain degree it's the less you eat, the more energy you have. That energy you can use for meditation instead digestion. Same with sleep.

Regards :-)
I get what I give
mirco

Postby Pax » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:25 pm

This may be worth a try, I've been trying to lose weight to help my knees out and while I'm eating a very healthy diet with the appropriate number of calories, and exercising... I am not losing much weight at all and it's been several months. My doctor measured my metabolism and commented that is so low/slow as to be hard to measure. Good news if I'm ever in a famine situation, poor news in a modern western culture.
Pax

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Greetings,

Over the last couple of months I've switched from one meal to two. This is because I now do regular exercise, primarily in the form of Bikram Yoga, but also running and cycling where they fit in.

Three meals still feels like too much.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby SarathW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi Retro
Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D
I still take three meals a day. I hope every day that I mange to skip my tea (dinner).
I strongly beleive that will help with my practice if I have some success one day.
SarathW

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 am

daverupa wrote:Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.

It is my great hope that this will work for me as well. Sometimes I cannot believe the amount of time and effort expended on food, planning, buying, thinking about, preparing, eating; it feels endless. The idea of preparing and consuming all food for the day in the morning to early afternoon time frame and then simply being done with it all seems so freeing.
Pax

Postby daverupa » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am

I seem to have settled on a schedule of waking at 0400 & eating around 0500 and again around 0900. The second is the larger of the two meals, and is either made at home along with breakfast and brought along or else held at an eatery, in which case the time is pushed forward to opening hours, as necessary. It seems sufficient for a day of steady walking.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 am

Greetings,

SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D

Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby manas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D

Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,

Hi/retro
when/i/try/to/forgo/the/evening/meal
i/notice/that/mindfulness/is/enhanced
but/interestingly/hunger/is/not/really/the/issue
as/you/pointed/out/unless/we/do/hard/physical/work
we/dont/need/three/large/meals/a/day.
the/problem/i/find
is/that/uncomfortable/emotions/arise
when/i/dont/eat/in/the/evening.
emotions/that/had/previously/been/suppressed
by/stuffing/food/down
begin/to/bubble/up/into/awareness.
i/have/come/to/think
that/often/we/eat/for/comfort
rather/than/out/of/need
because/food/is/able/to/suppress/certain/things
in/my/experience.
however/it/is/more/skilful
to/face/those/difficult/feelings
than/to/keep/avoiding/them
by/constantly/eating/imho
metta
:anjali:
Primum non nocere: "first, do no harm."
manas

Postby ground » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 am

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food?
Is there some inherent virtue in this practice?

Nothing inherent in it.
Actually it is about sense pleasures. The sight of food, the noise of food being chewed, the odor of food, the touch of food, the taste of food. It is the source for the maintenance of clinging to sense pleasures since itself is the cultivation of sense pleasures and since if the body is well fed desires will arise. Now you may imagine the benefits of reducing the frequency to the minimum, just to stay alive because if you don't stay alive you cannot tread the path but if you do not practice restraint you cannot tread the path to its (postulated) end either. :sage:
ground

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

retrofuturist wrote:The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

I agree, and the evidence is there in peoples' waistlines. ;)
Spiny Norman

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.
Feathers

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am

Feathers wrote:Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.

I think its a mistake if you are intending to fast after mid-day as a means to address food or weight issues.
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:10 pm

You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.
Feathers

PreviousNext

Return to Wellness, Diet & Fitness