Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
User avatar
gavesako
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby gavesako » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:

Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.

:popcorn:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts

User avatar
BubbaBuddhist
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:55 am
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Some of the veggie burgers are very good, others taste like old shoe boxes, I learned the hard way. Another great thing to make is faux tuna salad: grind chick peas with a little garlic and that Japanese seaweed called Nori, which is not only edible but very nutritious. But don't use too much. It imparts a pleasant fishy taste to the chickpeas. Spread it on rye and by God it's like tuna salad. Use free-range chick peas please, the ones that frolicked happily in fields seem to taste better.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
Posts: 9387
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 pm

gavesako wrote:I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:
Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.

:popcorn:


That is amazing. He sounds like a serious monk and he lives on only biscuits and fruits!? How did / does he do that in regard to the 3-fold rule? Is he allowed to let the lay people know to bring him only those foods? Great discipline!

User avatar
gavesako
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby gavesako » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:38 am

I think he is like those Tibetan monks doing tantric meditation practices and probably gets much energy from that. Also i don't think he follows the conventional Vinaya strictly in terms of having food offered into his hands.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts

Digity
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby Digity » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:33 am

gavesako wrote:I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:

Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.

:popcorn:

That sounds like a bad diet...too many simple carbs. I hope he doesn't get health problems.
Diamonds are made under pressure.

Chi
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby Chi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Many Tibetan yogis living in mountains and caves will subsist mostly on tsampa (roasted barley flour) for years and decades. They seem to come out very realized human beings. So maybe we make too big of a deal out of our diets.

Personally, I like to eat lots of fruit and veggies and nuts. I do admit, I am fascinated with peanut butter right now.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

User avatar
mirco
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby mirco » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 pm

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food? Is there some inherent virtue in this practice? Thanks

What makes you think that it's unhealthy? Personal experience?
I once did it for one month and I never in my whole life had more energy every day that in that period.

It's a energy thing. Up to a certain degree it's the less you eat, the more energy you have. That energy you can use for meditation instead digestion. Same with sleep.

Regards :-)
"An important term for meditative absorption is samadhi. We often translate that as 'concentration', but that can suggest a certain stiffness. Perhaps 'unification' is a better rendition, as samadhi means 'to bring together'. Deep samadhi isn`t at all stiff. It`s a process of letting go of other things and coming to a unified experience." Bhikkhu Anālayo

SarathW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby SarathW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 am

I heard this saying “We eat food and food eat us”
By the way I spoke to one of my Muslim friend (Islamic faith) and he said that he take one meal a day for forty days in Ramadan season. He said that he was quite fit and lost about eight kilos.

Last night I skip my dinner and got a headache this morning. One of my work friend said, may be my sugar level gone down. It seems to me that food control also a gradual training thing.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Pax
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Pax » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:25 pm

This may be worth a try, I've been trying to lose weight to help my knees out and while I'm eating a very healthy diet with the appropriate number of calories, and exercising... I am not losing much weight at all and it's been several months. My doctor measured my metabolism and commented that is so low/slow as to be hard to measure. Good news if I'm ever in a famine situation, poor news in a modern western culture.

User avatar
Paul Davy
Posts: 16137
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Paul Davy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Greetings,

Over the last couple of months I've switched from one meal to two. This is because I now do regular exercise, primarily in the form of Bikram Yoga, but also running and cycling where they fit in.

Three meals still feels like too much.

Metta,
Retro. :)
What is the final conviction that comes when radical attention is razor-edge sharp? That the object of the mind is mind-made (manomaya). (Ven. Ñāṇananda)

Having understood name-and-form, which is a product of prolificity,
And which is the root of all malady within and without,
He is released from bondage to the root of all maladies,
That Such-like-one is truly known as 'the one who has understood'.
(Snp 3.6)

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby daverupa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

SarathW
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby SarathW » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi Retro
Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D
I still take three meals a day. I hope every day that I mange to skip my tea (dinner).
I strongly beleive that will help with my practice if I have some success one day.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Pax
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 am

daverupa wrote:Two meals seems to be sufficient for moderate physical exertion throughout ones day, even when the two meals are before noon, in my experience. I've even gained weight this way.

It is my great hope that this will work for me as well. Sometimes I cannot believe the amount of time and effort expended on food, planning, buying, thinking about, preparing, eating; it feels endless. The idea of preparing and consuming all food for the day in the morning to early afternoon time frame and then simply being done with it all seems so freeing.

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby daverupa » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 am

I seem to have settled on a schedule of waking at 0400 & eating around 0500 and again around 0900. The second is the larger of the two meals, and is either made at home along with breakfast and brought along or else held at an eatery, in which case the time is pushed forward to opening hours, as necessary. It seems sufficient for a day of steady walking.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
Paul Davy
Posts: 16137
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Paul Davy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 am

Greetings,

SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D

Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,
Retro. :)
What is the final conviction that comes when radical attention is razor-edge sharp? That the object of the mind is mind-made (manomaya). (Ven. Ñāṇananda)

Having understood name-and-form, which is a product of prolificity,
And which is the root of all malady within and without,
He is released from bondage to the root of all maladies,
That Such-like-one is truly known as 'the one who has understood'.
(Snp 3.6)

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2223
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby manas » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

SarathW wrote:Oh no! You have to try to go forward not back word. :D

Ha. Well, I think essentially you need to eat an amount that is comparable to the amount you exert. When I ate one meal a day, that was fine because I did a bare minimum of physical exercise.

This is why modern society is getting so fat... because exertion reduces (as technology and creature comforts pervade) and intake either remains stagnant or increases (as eating is increasingly regarded as a source of luxurious pleasure rather than of sustenance).

The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.

Metta,
Retro. :)


Hi/retro
when/i/try/to/forgo/the/evening/meal
i/notice/that/mindfulness/is/enhanced
but/interestingly/hunger/is/not/really/the/issue
as/you/pointed/out/unless/we/do/hard/physical/work
we/dont/need/three/large/meals/a/day.
the/problem/i/find
is/that/uncomfortable/emotions/arise
when/i/dont/eat/in/the/evening.
emotions/that/had/previously/been/suppressed
by/stuffing/food/down
begin/to/bubble/up/into/awareness.
i/have/come/to/think
that/often/we/eat/for/comfort
rather/than/out/of/need
because/food/is/able/to/suppress/certain/things
in/my/experience.
however/it/is/more/skilful
to/face/those/difficult/feelings
than/to/keep/avoiding/them
by/constantly/eating/imho
metta
:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

(SN 22.97)

User avatar
ground
Posts: 2591
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby ground » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 am

alan wrote:Monks have to follow the rules, but why would anyone else take up the unhealthy practice of restricting your food?
Is there some inherent virtue in this practice?

Nothing inherent in it.
Actually it is about sense pleasures. The sight of food, the noise of food being chewed, the odor of food, the touch of food, the taste of food. It is the source for the maintenance of clinging to sense pleasures since itself is the cultivation of sense pleasures and since if the body is well fed desires will arise. Now you may imagine the benefits of reducing the frequency to the minimum, just to stay alive because if you don't stay alive you cannot tread the path but if you do not practice restraint you cannot tread the path to its (postulated) end either. :sage:

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 4102
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

retrofuturist wrote:The notion of three meals a day is so unquestioned in modern society, yet there's no way in my mind that most people do enough activity to warrant the calorific intake that comes with three full meals, nevermind the snacks inbetween them.


I agree, and the evidence is there in peoples' waistlines. ;)
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Feathers
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:43 am

Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dhammawheel thread on tools for managing depression

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 18240
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am

Feathers wrote:Ok, I want to try the not-eating-after-noon thing. I may not even be Buddhist yet but food has been a BIG problem for me all my life, and if I could get a grip on it it would be awesome.
I am thinking of starting officially on Sunday (got friends coming for dinner Saturday evening so would be a kinda awkward time to start :p) but might try and ease into it a bit starting now. I could use some info and advice:

1) Do you think, to start with, making 2pm the cut off instead of noon would make it easier to get accustomed to? It would certainly be easier socially so I could eat lunch with friends. I could move that time back as I got more used to it (and my friends get accustomed to my weirdness :p)

2) What should I expect in the first few days? I know long term the benefits sound great, but I guess I am going to feel rough for a while, and I think I'll find it easier to push through if I'm prepared.

3) Any other tips - types of food, and in particular quick healthy meals. I'm vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info. If I manage to actually stick to this it'll be a miracle, but I really want to give it a go.


I think its a mistake if you are intending to fast after mid-day as a means to address food or weight issues.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..


Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine