Distorted Visions of Buddhism: Agnostic and Atheist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kusala

Distorted Visions of Buddhism: Agnostic and Atheist

Post by Kusala »

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
mikenz66

Re: Distorted Visions of Buddhism: Agnostic and Atheist

Post by mikenz66 »

James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Just another Stephen Batchelor-bashing article.
Nothing new.
Same old anti-secular-buddhism position.
Fair enough to criticise, and valid points, but it has all been said before.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think most, if not all visions of Buddhism are distortions. Some visions more distorted than others.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

Ben wrote:I think most, if not all visions of Buddhism are distortions. Some visions more distorted than others.
That's an interesting statement. Care to expand on that? For example, we could read Bhikkhu Bodhi's various articles about Buddhism and get a vision of Buddhism. In what ways do you see that as distorted?
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Ben wrote:I think most, if not all visions of Buddhism are distortions. Some visions more distorted than others.
:thumbsup: :goodpost:
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

So how do we assess the level of distortion in a particular approach?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

porpoise wrote:
Investigation, the second "Factor of Awakening".
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Good link. Imo it pretty much nails batchelor:
There would be nothing wrong if Batchelor simply rejected the authenticity of the Buddha’s enlightenment and the core of his teachings, but instead he rejects the most reliable accounts of the Buddha’s vision and replaces it with his own, while then projecting it on the Buddha that exists only in his imagination.
What he is teaching doesnt look like buddhism to me, he should call it something else.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

porpoise wrote:
Unfortunately we have no perfect way apart from practicing the best we know and reaping pragmatic results. What is left is living tradition and guidance of living, or recently deceased Ajahns (through writtings of their teaching). The Buddha didn't leave video or audio recordings. I don't even know that He existed, though I do believe despite the lack of hard evidence.

The best thing we can do is to get close to what the early Buddhists believed, hoping that they didn't unintentionally distort Buddha's message like Sati or Arittha did (even though these two lived under the Buddha).

Here are the problem areas:
1)a) As Buddha was teaching some monk, ven. Ananda heard the lecture ONE time.
b) Some other monk heard the lecture one time and had to tell it to ven. Ananda who then remembered it.

2) How accurately word-for-word did ven. Ananda remember?

3) What did Ananda recollect 20 years later at the First Council.

4) How accurate was the teaching that was verbally being spread from generation to generation of monks for few centuries.

5) Teaching was then written down centuries after the Buddha during Fourth Buddhist Council (1st century BCE).

6) Copying books for centuries until today.
The climate of Theravāda countries is not conducive to the survival of manuscripts. Apart from brief quotations in inscriptions and a two-page fragment from the eighth or ninth century found in Nepal, the oldest manuscripts known are from late in the fifteenth century,[41] and there is not very much from before the eighteenth.[42]link
The Ashoka's pillars (supposedly built centuries after the Buddha) contain very little, and very general Dhamma.
The Gandhāran Buddhist texts are the oldest Buddhist manuscripts yet discovered, dating from about the 1st century CE.[1] They are written in Gāndhārī, and are possibly the oldest extant Indic texts altogether. link
Gāndhārī is not pāli and neither is it Theravādin, it is Dharmaguptaka school. And it is still ~5 centuries after the Buddha's death.

We have very little (if any) hard evidence about the Theravāda and pāli teaching prior to 15th century. That is about 2000 after the Buddha!

Lots of places for typos, omissions, and mistakes!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Alex123 wrote:
The Gandhāran Buddhist texts are the oldest Buddhist manuscripts yet discovered, dating from about the 1st century CE.[1] They are written in Gāndhārī, and are possibly the oldest extant Indic texts altogether. link
Gāndhārī is not pali and neither is it Theravada. And it is still ~5 centuries after the Buddha's death.
We have Ashoka's edicts dated to about 250 BCE and the the British Museum Scrolls you quoted to about the 1st century CE. That is pretty hard evidence, although still a few hundred years after Buddha's paranibbana.
Alex123 wrote: We have very little (if any) hard evidence about the Theravada and pali teaching prior to 15th century, about 2000 after the Buddha!
See above, we do have some hard evidence much earlier than the 15th century.
Alex123 wrote: Lots of places for typos, omissions, and mistakes!
True, but (in my opinion) this does not give some modern scholars free license to re-write Buddhism completely to fit their views, for example to claim that the Buddha did not teach anatta, rebirth, etc.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

David N. Snyder wrote:We have Ashoka's edicts dated to about 250 BCE and the the British Museum Scrolls you quoted to about the 1st century CE. That is pretty hard evidence, although still a few hundred years after Buddha's paranibbana.
I bolded the important part. And what do Ashoka's edicts teach? Do they teach Theravada or other scholastic doctrine?

David N. Snyder wrote: See above, we do have some hard evidence much earlier than the 15th century.
Still those fragments are centuries later than the Buddha. A century is a long time for doctrine and interpretations to evolve.

Considering that even when the Buddha was alive some monks misinterpreted him, nothing to say about what can happen centuries later and without the living Buddha to correct mistakes...

David N. Snyder wrote: True, but (in my opinion) this does not give some modern scholars free license to re-write Buddhism completely to fit their views, for example to claim that the Buddha did not teach anatta, rebirth, etc.
Right. Those need to call the new teaching to be their own rather than the Buddha's. But with all of that said, we don't know what Buddha (if He even existed) has actually vocally said, and in which dialect. We have fragments of Buddhist teaching that dates centuries after Buddha's death.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Instead of 'distortions', I would rather say 'adaptions'. The Dhamma is adapted to the society, culture and person. This happened already at the time of the Buddha, when he debated with brahmans and ascetics, when he gave Vinaya rules motivated by a wish to keep up respect for the bhikkhus among the lay folk.

It has been an ongoing process since then. The Buddhadhamma was exported to other cultures in Asia, and it was adapted in different ways to those cultures. Today the Buddhadhamma is in the process of being adapted to Western society.

A totally unadapted form of Buddhism is (almost) unthinkable. It would mean an extremely fundamentalist literal belief in every word in every Sutta, and it would only work in a society that is an exact copy of northern India at the time of the Buddha. So we should not complain over adaptions. Adaptions may be good, and they may be bad. The important question is of course this: How well is the adaption done? Does it keep the essence of the Dhamma? And that can of course be discussed (what is the essence of the Dhamma?) ... and discussed (how well is this specific adaption preserve the essence of the Dhamma?) ... and discussed ...
Mettāya,
Kåre
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

:goodpost: (I like Stephen Bachelor)

:anjali:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I'm going to say :goodpost: too, although I'm not madly enthusiastic about Batchelor.
As Kare said, the teachings were adapted to (and in) each new culture they were carried to. Over time they diverged further, which is why we have so many schools - each of which is still "Buddhism" by its own account and by any reasonable outside assessment. Now - in the last fifty years anyway - the different schools have come into regular contact with each other after their long isolation and have to resolve some of the differences.
At the same time, the dhamma is finding ways to co-exist with a scientific worldview and is having to downplay (or even throw out) elements which are totally inconsistent with that worldview. (And not just the dhamma - the Christians have had exactly the same problem, and the Moslems are going to have it even worse as and when their cultures become truly modern.)
Batchelor's is just one of the more radical adaption attempts. Not the worst, not the best ... but at least it's an attempt.

:namaste:
Kim