Moaning & Groaning and the Path & Fruit

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mogg

Re: Moaning & Groaning and the Path & Fruit

Post by mogg »

kirk5a wrote:What's to elaborate? It describes those who dwell in the forest, not in a monastery. As Ajahn Mun did for much of his life.
I'm sensing a disconnect between practical reality and conceptual understanding here Kirk. I recommend coming out to Asia and staying at some of the forest monasteries in Northern Thailand, Myanmar, and Northern Malaysia to see the shortcomings in that last comment.
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

mogg wrote:I'm sensing a disconnect between practical reality and conceptual understanding here Kirk. I recommend coming out to Asia and staying at some of the forest monasteries in Northern Thailand, Myanmar, and Northern Malaysia to see the shortcomings in that last comment.
Thanks for the recommendation but it's not relevant to the discussion. I didn't make any claims about how practical it might be to follow the ascetic practices in SE Asia today.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
mogg

Post by mogg »

kirk5a wrote:
mogg wrote:I'm sensing a disconnect between practical reality and conceptual understanding here Kirk. I recommend coming out to Asia and staying at some of the forest monasteries in Northern Thailand, Myanmar, and Northern Malaysia to see the shortcomings in that last comment.
Thanks for the recommendation but it's not relevant to the discussion. I didn't make any claims about how practical it might be to follow the ascetic practices in SE Asia today.
You're making claims about how to practice the path when its clear that you have little understanding yourself. I will make one final comment, there is a distinction between simplicity and asceticism. In my experience one is more important than the other.

With metta
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

mogg wrote: You're making claims about how to practice the path when its clear that you have little understanding yourself.
I would appreciate it if you not misrepresent what I have said, nor attempt to personalize the discussion.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230