Buddhism High Level Concepts Mind Map

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Buddhism High Level Concepts Mind Map

Postby fbear » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all.

I've created a high level conceptual mind map of what I consider to be the most important terms and groupings I've come across so far in my study.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvement or corrections, please let me know.

thanks

Pete
Attachments
Buddhism Key Concepts.jpg
Buddhism Key Concepts.jpg (497.48 KiB) Viewed 485 times
fbear

Re: Buddhism High Level Concepts Mind Map

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:09 pm

fbear wrote:Hi all.

I've created a high level conceptual mind map of what I consider to be the most important terms and groupings I've come across so far in my study.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvement or corrections, please let me know.

thanks

Pete

Pretty impressive! :bow:
I did something comparable (but not as polished) when I was first trying to get my head around all the teachings and terminology. I ended up deciding that its main value was in making me think about the connections and memorise or internalise the most important of them. If that's true for you, too, your map may have already provided its most important benefit.
I think you have got most of the important ideas. I wondered whether the high-level layout (the bigger circles and main connecting lines) could be made more intuitive - e.g. putting all the positive factors (e.g. factors of enlightenment) above a central line and their corresponding negatives (e.g. hindrances) below it.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Re: Buddhism High Level Concepts Mind Map

Postby fbear » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks Kim, very kind words.

Yes, the diagrams are a good aide-memoire for me as my memory is pretty bad and there are many overlaps between groups that can be confusing without being able to see them side by side.

I take your point about rearranging the negative and positive but I have to confess to finding it difficult to actually fit everything on the diagram.

I wanted to also include the positive nidana chain of Suffering->Faith->Joy->Rapture->Tranquility->Happiness->Concentration->Knowledge and Vision of things as they are->Withdrawal->Dispassion->Freedom->Knowledge of the destruction of the Asavas, but there was no room.

I may fiddle about a bit and include the attached which I find inspiring to contemplate.

Thanks again for the comments.
Attachments
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg (493.42 KiB) Viewed 380 times
fbear

Return to Theravāda for the modern world