Worthwhile reflections from an economist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Worthwhile reflections from an economist

Post by Ben »

I thought I would share the following video with you all.
Until 2.45 it contains some very worthwhile reflections on life in Australia, but also relevant to people living in other developed nations.
Reflections that may be worthwhile considering before one complains about how tough we have it.
kind regards,

Ben

http://media.theage.com.au/selections/2 ... 10972.html
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mogg

Re: Worthwhile reflections from an economist

Post by mogg »

I completely agree Ben, thanks for posting the video.

There are more countries in the world that I have traveled to than haven't, and on balance I would say that Australia is the top of the tree. There are other countries where life is better for particular cross sections (i.e the wealthy class), but in terms of the average person, Australia is the place.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mogg,
Perhaps its the top of the tree. Its the type of sentiment that is expressed by many so I am not sure whether what Pascoe said is accurate or warm and fuzzy hubris.
I guess what I got from the video is that we have so much to be grateful for, that the vast majority of us take for granted. And I think that is a real shame. So many people in the world live and die in abject misery and are barred from opportunity to make their lives better. Even down here in Tasmania where the economy is tanking (compared to the rest of the country) life is still very good.
It is interesting - we have a young Afghani student staying with us. His observations about how wonderful life here is in Australia - its good for my kids exposed to those views from someone who cannot go and walk down the street in Kabul without risking his safety.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

manas

Post by manas »

when/my/(future)/parents
just/after/WW2
left/their/homeland
to/escape/Stalinist/rule
Im/so/glad
they/boarded/the/ship
bound/for/Australia! :heart:
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Ben
This topic is very close to my heart. Instead of writing an essay, I thought I will get to the point straight away.
I watch politics, economics and world history very closely. Any county or person who follow Buddha’s path will prosper in this very life and next life.
I have seen Buddhist qualities among many people live in Australia, though Australia is not a Buddhist country.

However we should not be too complacent about it.
A rooster today can be a feather duster tomorrow.
So as a nation Australians should strive to govern the country according to Buddhist theories.

This is applicable not only to Australia but to the world. :)

http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs/dasajajadhamma.htm

http://www.beyondthenet.net/misc/ten_ro ... lities.htm
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ben

Post by Ben »

SarathW wrote:Hi Ben
This topic is very close to my heart. Instead of writing an essay, I thought I will get to the point straight away.
I watch politics, economics and world history very closely. Any county or person who follow Buddha’s path will prosper in this very life and next life.
I have seen Buddhist qualities among many people live in Australia, though Australia is not a Buddhist country.

However we should not be too complacent about it.
A rooster today can be a feather duster tomorrow.
So as a nation Australians should strive to govern the country according to Buddhist theories.

This is applicable not only to Australia but to the world. :)

http://www.ibiblio.org/obl/docs/dasajajadhamma.htm

http://www.beyondthenet.net/misc/ten_ro ... lities.htm
I agree completely, SarathW!
But we can't have our countries being governed by Buddhist (or Buddhist-like) principles unless we ourselves are practicing the path.
People who live in representative democracies end up with leaders who tend to be facsimiles of the people who elect them.
kind regards,

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote:I thought I would share the following video with you all.
Until 2.45 it contains some very worthwhile reflections on life in Australia, but also relevant to people living in other developed nations.
Reflections that may be worthwhile considering before one complains about how tough we have it.
kind regards,

Ben

http://media.theage.com.au/selections/2 ... 10972.html
Pure coincidence, of course, Ben, but I just posted this http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16962 which compares our wealth to that of the rest of the world, wherever we happen to be.

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, I noted your thread and I think the resource is excellent.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725