Dhamma names?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Dhamma names?

Postby Stephen K » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Are dhamma names forbidden for lay Theravadins?

(How) can I get a dhamma name?
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Re: Dhamma names?

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:39 pm

I don't think so. Anagarika Dharmapala had one and he was a lay man all his life until about the last year when he ordained.

His dying words were, "may I be re-born 25 more times so that I can spread the Buddha-Dhamma." :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not sure how you could do it, but I would check with a venerable if you want a formal ceremony; perhaps in conjunction with a formal refuge ceremony.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 pm

My impression is that it is uncommon for Theravadins to take Dhamma names unless they are ordained. However, some Western organisations do do this. But the whole thing of taking a Pali name is clearly a ('modern') post-Buddha's lifetime idea anyway. If it is inspiring to you, and doesn't cause any friction with the people you associate with, I don't see any problem.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:11 am

I did it!

fare enough I roughly translated the meaning of my actual name and not for any real reason other than some anonimity, but I have at times found it useful (when I wasn't being as headful as I should be and noticed it myself etc) as a reminder for practice, something like a conversation David wants to say F*** Y** TOS*** and punch his lights out, Manapa would do this though!
helps keep the me on the internet the me I am off line. (for the most part)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Lounge