Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Feathers

Re: Why one meal a day?

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:10 pm

You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dhammawheel thread on tools for managing depression

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Feathers wrote:You don't think it would be a good way to break attachment to food, and in particular comfort eating? (sincere question, not trying to be sarcastic or anything). I'm not aiming at weight loss specifically, though obviously that would be nice.

I understand where you are coming from. You need to address the root cause of the problem which is attachment, craving and to a lesser extent - aversion. If you have a strong practice foundation then adopting the eight precepts (which includes no eating after mid-day) can be very beneficial. If you don't have a strong practice then you could end up creating more problems. As you mentioned you are not yet a Buddhist then I will recommend that while you investigate Buddhadhamma to also investigate a health & wellbeing program that includes a calorie controlled, balanced and healthy diet and regular exercise. In time, your practice will complement your health and wellbeing program by directly addressing the root causes of your attachment to food and comfort eating.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Feathers

Postby Feathers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dhammawheel thread on tools for managing depression

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Feathers wrote:I see what you mean, and thank you for the kind advice. I guess if for now I look into making my evening meal a very light meal (whereas currently it's my main meal) that might be a more sensible start.
I know what I need to eat to be healthier, I just . . . don't do it. Stupid I know.

Its not stupid. Its actually very hard to counter a lifetime of conditioning. Buddhist practice will help you unravel your conditionings. The website I mentioned earlier has some great tools too, and if you commit yourself to using the application and expending effort in exercising and changing your diet - it will give results.
Kind regrds,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Shinemate

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Postby Shinemate » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

The only vitamins that vegans need are vitamin D and of of course vitamin B12, also 600 milligrams of calcium every day ( read here in the last two paragraphs of tips for healthy vegan diet) so I guess it doesn't matter how many meals you have every day, you just need to take some supplements that contain these vitamins and it'll be enough. Though to be honest I don't think that eating once a day can be healthy for anyone, no matter if they are vegan or not

alan

Postby alan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't get the Vegan thing, but if you do it, consider taking Krill Oil supplements. Excellent source of many good things your body needs to function at peak efficiency.
Worried about killing critters? Don't be. In the time it has taken you to read this sentence, a couple million of them have been born.
In the next few seconds, they've been scooped up by giant whales somewhere in the cold seas of the Arctic. No need to ponder Kamma here.

Seriously--research it.

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 pm

purple planet wrote:I used to be vegan now i am in a "break" of 3 months in which i ate meat - and now i want to go back to being vegan
- at the time i eat in the morning cereal with milk and for lunch vegetables with meat and then i dont eat until next morning -

My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?

Why go to such extreme as eating once per day, and vegan? You are not a monk, and whatever was the reason for monks, does not apply to you.

As for food: Eat lots of nuts and seeds (soak them for 24 hours or more), and don't forget to take coconut oil and various supplements (B12, multivitamins, omega-3s).
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

manas

Postby manas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 pm

marc108 wrote:
purple planet wrote:My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?

impossible

Hi/marc
respectfully/my/friend
thats/not/true!
if/one/is/knowledgeable
about/what/nutrients/are/in/what/foods
it/is/definitely/possible
although/it/does/require
much/care/and/effort

the/only/instance/where/i/would/agree
where/it/would/be/insufficient/imo
would/be/if/ones/occupation
was/as/a/labourer
doing/physically/taxing/work/all/day
in/that/case/one/meal/a/day
wouldnt/be/enough/afaics.

metta
:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

(SN 22.97)

alan

Postby alan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Express yourself properly, please.

Roland

Postby Roland » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

alan wrote:manas:
Why the weird writing? It serves no purpose, and just may turn off people who actually care about this subject.

Keyboard Malfunction
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)

manas

Postby manas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Roland wrote:
alan wrote:manas:

Keyboard
Malfunction

Thanks.Roland
for.being.both.observant.and.thoughtful

I.ought.to.be.able
to.fix.this.keyboard.problem.today
but.in.the.meantime
i.hope.that.full.stops
are.less.irritating.than.slashes

kind.regards
:anjali:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

(SN 22.97)

Roland

Postby Roland » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 pm

It does make it a little more readable, I think.

But either way doesn't bother me!

:buddha2:
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:22 pm

gavesako wrote:He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around.

So he's breaking the Pācittiya rule for eating food that has not been offered? That sounds odd for a strict forest monk. Maybe something was lost in translation?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SarathW

Eating after midday.

Postby SarathW » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:52 am

Q1:Will the lay Stream-winner eat after midday?
This question is based on :
===========================

Verse 11: Scrupulous Integrity
Another special quality of a Stream-winner is transparent honesty and scrupulous integrity. Although they are not yet free from greed, hatred, and delusion, Stream-winners are completely free from immorality. A monk who is a Stream-winner may sometimes fall into offences due to heedlessness, but when reminded that such an action is an offence against a training rule laid down by the Buddha, or realising this by himself on reflection, he does not conceal it, but makes amends in the prescribed way. One who wishes to attain Stream-winning should be equally scrupulous, seeing fear in the slightest fault.

For example: to eat after midday is an offence for a bhikkhu. Each mouthful taken is an offence to be confessed (pācittiya). If he thinks it is before midday when it is not, it is still an offence. If it is before midday, but he thinks it is after midday, or he is doubtful, it is an offence of wrong-doing (dukkata). A Stream-winner would not take a single morsel of food if he thought it was after midday, as to do so would be shameless. Due to unmindfulness he might do so, but afterwards he would confess his offence. Stream-winners have a keen desire to follow the training rules and readily confess their offences if they do fall into any — they are not disobedient.
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Ratana/ratana.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

santa100

Re: Eating after midday.

Postby santa100 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 am

It depends on whether one is a lay stream enterer or a monk stream enterer. Notice that there're different levels/types of stream entry as described in AN 3.86 ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html )..

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:59 pm

The Buddha ate after midday for a while, before instituting the Vinaya rule, so I'm failing to see a connection between attainments and meal plans.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 am

If the lay Stream-winner had undertaken to observe the Eight Precepts, then the same reasoning would apply. He or she would consider whether or not midday had passed, and would not knowingly eat after midday.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

FairyFeller

Postby FairyFeller » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I have been thinking about he eating after midday scenario for a while, please forgive my ignorance but at what point is the earliest you can eat after midday?

For instance is it okay to eat just after midnight? Then what's to stop eating for the weave hours between midnight and midday? It would be just about adjusting the body clock.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 pm

It will have to be verified, but my understanding is that the allowable period for seeking alms and eating is from dawn to noon, which addresses the concern about the wee hours of the night. I'm fairly sure that this very situation occurs in the Vinaya, somewhere...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Zom

Postby Zom » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:36 pm

For example: to eat after midday is an offence for a bhikkhu. Each mouthful taken is an offence to be confessed (pācittiya). If he thinks it is before midday when it is not, it is still an offence. If it is before midday, but he thinks it is after midday, or he is doubtful, it is an offence of wrong-doing (dukkata). A Stream-winner would not take a single morsel of food if he thought it was after midday, as to do so would be shameless.

There's one more thing stream-enterer elimintated. Grasping to rules and observances. Being horrified that you finished eating at 12.01 am is exactly this very thing, as I see it .) So, a stream-enterer is not like that. Vinaya rules are not "to be observed at the cost of your life", but they are guidelines how to do things in a right way. Keep in mind, that some of the rules Buddha offered to drop not long before final nibbana, so they are not important "by themselves".

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”