Boring newbie questions

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Sadge

Boring newbie questions

Post by Sadge »

Why theravada over mayanyan?
How long can you (yup you) sustain your attention on a singular object for?
Why is there no glossary of terms on this forum (pali) it appears to be the forum with the most traffic.
Is it possible to get significantly proficient in meditation without being a hermit or living a monastic life?
Anyone go to Chithurst monastery in Sussex?
Modus.Ponens

Re: Boring newbie questions

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Sadge wrote:Why theravada over mayanyan?
How long can you (yup you) sustain your attention on a singular object for?
Why is there no glossary of terms on this forum (pali) it appears to be the forum with the most traffic.
Is it possible to get significantly proficient in meditation without being a hermit or living a monastic life?
1- Because Theravada represents best the teachings of the historical Buddha. Since no buddhist tradition claims to have masters more enlightened than the Buddha and since they all accept the Buddha as their master, then the logical conclusion is that what the Buddha said is supreme among every teaching. Thus, theravada being the one representing the teachings of the Buddha with most acuracy, I think theravada is the best choice.

2- This is a topic here at the forum with pali resources: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=950

3- Yes, as long as you're willing to work hard and live a life that is an aquired taste (this means that even though it's better to live a life practicing the dhamma, it's difficult at first).

4- Not me.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

In my case, I think I lean toward Theravada more than Mahayana teachings because they are more readily accessible (IMO) in English.

That said, I regularly visit a Vietnamese Pure Land temple near my home, so I guess maybe I haven't chosen one over the other in the first place.
Sadge wrote:How long can you (yup you) sustain your attention on a singular object for?
Not very long...
Sadge wrote:Why is there no glossary of terms on this forum (pali) it appears to be the forum with the most traffic.
In the Pali section of the forum (http://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=23 ) there are some pinned threads that may have some of what you're looking for. I suppose it isn't necessarily as organized as what you're proposing... I suppose no one has taken the effort and time to compile the whole thing into anything more concise.
Sadge wrote:Is it possible to get significantly proficient in meditation without being a hermit or living a monastic life?
My reading of some of the Nikayas informs me to say "yes," although the difficulty in doing so is prohibitive to most of us who have kids and jobs and, well, too many other attachments.
Sadge wrote:Anyone go to Chithurst monastery in Sussex?
Wish I could... haha wrong country for me :jumping:

I hope all that helps you a little. Be well, friend.
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Tex

Post by Tex »

I chose Theravada mostly because of the (mostly?) undisputed historical authenticity of the Pali Canon. The Mahayana sutras show up centuries later in places the historical Buddha never walked or talked. I prefer to go straight to the source in pretty much any field of study.
Sadge wrote:How long can you (yup you) sustain your attention on a singular object for?
If I was measuring how long my attention was on a singular object, would my attention really be on a singular object? Honestly, I really don't know. The most I've ever meditated in a day is about 2 to 3 hours, usually in 20 or 30 minute intervals. I would tempted to argue that the quality of the attention on the object is more important than the quantity, i.e. length of time, if that makes any sense.
Sadge wrote:Why is there no glossary of terms on this forum (pali) it appears to be the forum with the most traffic.

Because there are lots of others online already. When in doubt, head to accesstoinsight.org. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html
Sadge wrote:Is it possible to get significantly proficient in meditation without being a hermit or living a monastic life?
Of course, just as it is possible to get significantly proficient at playing the piano without becoming a music major. The music major and the monk probably advance much more quickly in most cases, but not necessarily all.
Sadge wrote:Anyone go to Chithurst monastery in Sussex?
Never been in that nation, though I'd like to someday.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Thanks people :D
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Yes, every week. Do you have a specific question about it?
Sadge

Post by Sadge »

Oo hello. No not really, well I have opinions about the nuns order but that that is another thread. I used to go loads but I've seriously got out of the habit. Really need to put more effort in, so lucky to live within driving distance from a theravada monastery. It's only 40min down the road.
Do you go for the Dhamma talks and guided meditations?

What do you think of sucitto?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Sadge wrote:Oo hello. No not really, well I have opinions about the nuns order but that that is another thread. I used to go loads but I've seriously got out of the habit. Really need to put more effort in, so lucky to live within driving distance from a theravada monastery. It's only 40min down the road.
Do you go for the Dhamma talks and guided meditations?

What do you think of sucitto?
Yes, I tend to go either for puja or meditation on Sundays. I sometimes give the talk at the lay forum events (Tomorrow is "Clear Awareness" and a friend is doing it)

Ajahn Sucitto is one of the most impressive beings I have ever known. Access to him and his teaching is a great blessing for me.

I'm also about 30-40 minutes away - PM me if you want - if we are in the same area I can offer a lift. We also have a thriving meditation group...