Lay Buddhist Practice, a brilliant guide!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mawkish1983

Lay Buddhist Practice, a brilliant guide!

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I just found this:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before or not, but it seems very clear and very informative! It's a shame it's so long or I'd print it out. For now, I'm stuck reading it on a computer screen.
Ben

Re: Lay Buddhist Practice, a brilliant guide!

Post by Ben »

Yes its very good!
Thanks Mawk for reminding us.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks Mawkish,

This is just what I need right now.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Right near the beginning there's a bit that says:
Nowhere in the Buddhist world are Buddha-images treated as ornaments for a living room.
My wife only allows me to have a Buddharupa as an ornament of sorts in the room, and I have to assemble my shrine each morning before I practice and disassemble it afterwards, putting the flowers, candles etc away. It really is a shame but I think I just have to wait a little while for my wife to relax a little further. Small steps :)

Incidentally, I put together a couple of pages of simple instructions for daily practice based on this "Lay Buddhist Practice" document, things like what to say when making offerings etc. Is anyone interested in me pdfing it and sticking it here, or should I just keep it for my own personal use (until I've memorised it)?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Right near the beginning there's a bit that says:
Nowhere in the Buddhist world are Buddha-images treated as ornaments for a living room.
My wife only allows me to have a Buddharupa as an ornament of sorts in the room, and I have to assemble my shrine each morning before I practice and disassemble it afterwards, putting the flowers, candles etc away. It really is a shame but I think I just have to wait a little while for my wife to relax a little further. Small steps :)

Incidentally, I put together a couple of pages of simple instructions for daily practice based on this "Lay Buddhist Practice" document, things like what to say when making offerings etc. Is anyone interested in me pdfing it and sticking it here, or should I just keep it for my own personal use (until I've memorised it)?
I cant remember which one but think it may be the parinibbana sutta??? the buddha advises against having images of him, it was only wen bddhism went to greece that the rupas started to appear I believe. but we are in a different time, place and I find it useful to look at my small rupa at times

I would be interested in a copy!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Hoja

Post by Hoja »

Wow, it's a great resource.
Thanks Mawkish!
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

maybe you can go the japanese route and have an altar in a case that closes that way you just have to open it each time you want to meditate and the rest of the time its safely away out of sight
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

jcsuperstar wrote:maybe you can go the japanese route and have an altar in a case that closes that way you just have to open it each time you want to meditate and the rest of the time its safely away out of sight
I've thought about fabricating just such an altar, but it doesn't solve the problem of having a Buddharupa on display in the living room as an ornament. I've placed it on a high shelf above everything else in the room, but it still serves as an ornament. I suppose I have to keep in mind that it's not just my home and in every marriage there is give-and-take. She let me have a Buddharupa in the house afterall, that's her concession. I suppose it wouldn't be too unskillful for me to make this concession: that when I'm not meditating the Buddharupa is an ornament.

I'll pdf the 'service sheet' today and upload them somewhere accessable.
Macavity

Post by Macavity »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I've thought about fabricating just such an altar, but it doesn't solve the problem of having a Buddharupa on display in the living room as an ornament.
But if you kept the rupa inside a zushi as jcsuperstar suggested, then it wouldn't be on display at all, except when you opened the case.
zushi.jpg
zushi.jpg (85.07 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
zushi2.jpg
zushi2.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
zushi3.jpg
zushi3.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Here's the pdf (attached) of that "daily order of service" I threw together. If anyone sees any mistakes or changes that need to be made please feel free to let me know and I'll sort it out.
Attachments
Daily Lay Practice.pdf
(95.41 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
sherubtse

Post by sherubtse »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I just found this:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before or not, but it seems very clear and very informative! It's a shame it's so long or I'd print it out. For now, I'm stuck reading it on a computer screen.
This is of course a publication of the BPS. (See the note at the end of the article on the ATI website.)

They have many great articles, some of which are classics. As such, it is a pity that more folks don't know of their existence. Here is their website:

http://www.bps.lk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the "Online Library" link at thew top left-hand side of the homepage for more articles.

With metta,
Sherubtse