YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded? - Page 11 - Dhamma Wheel

How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 am

As moderator: Please keep posting to the subject, and please refrain from making the argument about individuals.

zerotime

Postby zerotime » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:10 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:42 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Santikaro

Postby Santikaro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Nothing is worth clinging to as me or mine.

stuka

Postby stuka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:28 pm

stuka

Postby stuka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:33 pm

stuka

Postby stuka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Santikaro

Postby Santikaro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Nothing is worth clinging to as me or mine.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:01 pm

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Present

Postby Present » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:53 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

zerotime

Postby zerotime » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:10 am

.e.

Postby .e. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 am

How are the views of Buddhadasa Bhikkhu regarded?

I frequented a fairly large Thai Wat in Chicago some years back. There were monks and lay followers who were students of Buddhadasa. So he has been highly influential in my understanding of the Dhamma. There were also other monks who were not students of Buddhadasa. Most if not all of the senior teachers had a very good focus on the sutras, especially the Majjhima Nikaya. One American monk felt that Buddhadasa was verging on being an annihilationist . But I am not sure if he fully understood Buddhadasa in that there ultimately is no atta to live forever or be annihilated from the get go. I have been around the suttas a fair amount but am no scholar. I appreciate Buddhadasa (and many others from all the yanas) for his pragmatic approach to the Dhamma. That is, when you shelve the suttas and are meditating or out living your life, Buddhadasa has much to offer. His teachings on Dependent Origination as happening in the here and now are indispensible for where the rubber meets the road. To see the process of .../contact/vedena/.../birth (of ego)... within my own mind stream has brought the dhamma to life before my very eyes. In this respect I don't really see what a 3 lifetime view of Dependent Origination really brings to practice. For instance, if ignorance is always in the last life, how are you supposed to end it? I mean you can't go back in time and eradicate it there now can you? As you contemplate D.O. it is obvious this process is happening right here and now. All else is nothing but (cultural) belief i.e. societal conventions. Also, I don't see re-birth mentioned in D.O. but birth is.

I sat a retreat with Ajahn Amaro a few years ago. There were 3 monks he mentioned equally in his dhamma talks. Ajahn Chah (his teacher), Ajahn Sumedho (his friend) and Ajahn Buddhadasa.

Don't know if this is the right place to mention this but some friends are organizing a retreat with Santikaro and Leigh Brasington on April 2 2010. You all know Santikaro from this thread . Leigh was a student of Ayya Khema and teaches a very accessable method of jhana, http://www.leighb.com. Also, Santikaro moderates a yahoo group called Buddhadasa if you're interested.

Peace y'all!

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 am

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 am

- Peter

nathan

Postby nathan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:36 am

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

nathan

Postby nathan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 am

Just to update what I mentioned eight or so pages ago about the Buddhaghosa's VSM; Just because there is an example in there that covers three lifetimes, an example that the Buddha also used, btw. doesn't mean that it is intended as a literal truth. The Buddha said that it takes a very high level of accomplishment to be able to observe how all causality functions in the present. It is a highly complex set of wheels within wheels. The Buddha could see it, describe it in detail, Sariputta could, a few others. It seems that no one else of record has since. So maybe we could all stop arguing about it until someone can again and just get on with dealing with it. One couldn't very well examine any of the links in DO if they weren't all accessible in the present could one? That said, there they are there in the present, so it follows that they were there in the past, and it is no big leap to grasp that they will continue to be there in the future, until the chain is broken. Say you don't believe all you want. The chain don't care.

:anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:04 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”