Aloe Vera

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Thanavuddho

Aloe Vera

Post by Thanavuddho »

Greetings,

I have had persistent problems with acne, inflamed by harsh lifestyle of forest monk and tropical sun and humidity in Thailand. I have treated my self with antibiotics when the acne has gotten out of control.

Few days ago somebody gave me Aloe Vera moisturizer and it seems to have healed my acne nearly 100%. As good as antibiotics, but less straining for the body, for sure...

The scientific evidence on the medicinal uses of Aloe Vera seem contradictory, at least by quikly reading Wikipedia. There seems to be plenty of information on treating acne with Aloe Vera, so this is no news.

Anuway I am happy.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Aloe Vera

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

For some reason I was blessed with an acne-free face as a teenager, but I know many of my friends who were not so lucky (or kammically rewarded, perhaps :D ) loved aloe vera for their faces. Is it easy to find in Thailand? I have no idea where it naturally grows.

Glad to see your problem has been solved!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Bhante, is it possible that the aloe vera gel contained alcohol? I know a lot of the stuff I bought in Thailand contained the stuff and this could have dried out the acne...don't know just a thought.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear Ven. Thanavuddho,

thanks for sharing and you might find maybe more infos here: Medicinal Plants - Allowed Medicine
Medical plants 382.jpg
Medical plants 382.jpg (98.39 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Is it easy to find in Thailand? I have no idea where it naturally grows.
They are somehow gardening plants (here in Cambodia, I guess in Thailand as well) so in front of nearly every house even if no more that used, some (older and aware) still use the flesh of the leaves as jelly for drinks and sweets dishes.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Bhante, is it possible that the aloe vera gel contained alcohol? I know a lot of the stuff I bought in Thailand contained the stuff and this could have dried out the acne...don't know just a thought.
I'm pretty sure that monks can use alcohol for medicinal purposes - after all, I think even consumption is allowed if a doctor prescribes it. I might be wrong on that, but I still think alcohol is allowed for topical application.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Hanzze wrote:Dear Ven. Thanavuddho,

thanks for sharing and you might find maybe more infos here: Medicinal Plants - Allowed Medicine

[attachment=0]Medical plants 382.jpg[/attachmet
Good info, Henzze. Like the book in the picture says, aloe vera is used in skincare lotions.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Bhante, is it possible that the aloe vera gel contained alcohol? I know a lot of the stuff I bought in Thailand contained the stuff and this could have dried out the acne...don't know just a thought.
Khalil,

I checked the others ingredients in the gel. As far as I understood, they where cemicals for the purpose of making it into a gel. No alcohol.

I do use alcohol in my regular skincare routine, as an antiseptic to clean acne wounds, for example. I also use it in many other cleaning purposes, as it is readily available in monasteries. 

I don't drink it, unless it is a solvent in a medicine or something like that....

I did take Albendazole few days also. It is a anti-parasite medicine, but i did not find any information connecting it to acne. I cannot rule out a connection, as I did take it at the same time as I took Aloe Vera.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:For some reason I was blessed with an acne-free face as a teenager,.

Glad to see your problem has been solved!
Yes, one less problem.

It is a common misconception that acne only affects teenagers. I am not saying that you have this misconception, I am only mentioning it  :reading:

I have diagnosed my self of possibly also having a case of rosacnea that makes my nose red sometimes. This is the same form of acne that the famous businessman J.P. Morgan had. He refused to take medication for it, and the disease gor very bad.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear Ven. Thanavuddho,

Form my experiances, its mostly the food. Special in SEAasia, we easily tend to sweets (even Coke, red Bull and such things) because the clima is very power privative. Maybe you might find some solutions in regard of this.

The pimples are often the sweetlover. (I guess such things like chees, butter and mayo are not so common, or are they?)
The high dose of dust in SEA countries might be also a additional reason, so simply often washing the face might also help.
Just that! *smile*

GraemeR

Aloe Vera

Post by GraemeR »

Thanavuddho wrote:Greetings,

I have had persistent problems with acne, inflamed by harsh lifestyle of forest monk and tropical sun and humidity in Thailand. I have treated my self with antibiotics when the acne has gotten out of control.

Few days ago somebody gave me Aloe Vera moisturizer and it seems to have healed my acne nearly 100%. As good as antibiotics, but less straining for the body, for sure...

Anuway I am happy.
Aloe Vera grows like a weed in Thailand, I have one in a pot :) You could try making your own cosmetics. Aloe Vera and witch hazel and traditional remedies. You probably can't get the latter.

Graham
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Hanzze wrote:Dear Ven. Thanavuddho,

Form my experiances, its mostly the food. Special in SEAasia, we easily tend to sweets (even Coke, red Bull and such things) because the clima is very power privative. Maybe you might find some solutions in regard of this.
Over the years I have heard many, many different theories about the cause of acne. Theories ranging from different kinds of food to kilesas in my mind.

Most of the time in my adult days I have been able to keep the acne under control. But when I came to Thailand and ordained, it flared up on me. I started taking Isotretinoin. Then I moved to stay with people who are into herbal medicine, so discontinued the drug.

And the acne flared up again. I had to put up a fight. I did research in the Internet about acne and used that knowledge to treat the disease. I used information from acne.org website, but not the products they sell.

By this regimen I was able to make the disease abate most of the time. One day I found some abandoned antibiotics for treating malaria. I discovered that they can be used to treat acne and rosacea as well. Taking 100mg once a day, for only 2-3 days, cleared the acne almost 100%.

Whenever the acne got out of control, I administered 2-3 days of Doxycycline. That is, until I discovered Aloe Vera. I have been Doxycycline free ever since.

This is beginning to sound like commercial. I don't mind doing it for stuff like Aloe Vera...
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Update,

Condition of my skin continues to be as good as it has ever been. I have used almost two tubes of Aloe Vera gel. I maintain that it is the primal cause to my unprecedented skin health.

Only time will tell. I don't want to stop using Aloe Vera in order to prove my theory, because I don't want my skin to inflame again.
GraemeR wrote: Aloe Vera grows like a weed in Thailand, I have one in a pot :) You could try making your own cosmetics. Aloe Vera and witch hazel and traditional remedies. You probably can't get the latter.

Graham
This is a good idea because I use a lot.
Kwogger

Post by Kwogger »

it's surprising that there is no scientific evidence to confirm that aloe vera helps acne, but it really does! I also use aloe vera but I grow the plant at home, make the gel ( guess it's just more natural) and apply it on my face every evening, usually mixing with either honey or rose water, I mix it with other ingredients because I don't like how aloe vera smells. Anyway I can't say that it heals my acne 100%, but its much much better than before.
Last edited by Kwogger on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Aloe Vera gel is amazing stuff. A few years ago I had shingles. The new generation of anti-virals was by then available and I took them gratefully and probably shortened the episode considerably...But Aloe Vera was extremely effective when applied to the lesions. Each application gave a hour or so's relief from the burning sensation.
It can also help with digestive problems when diluted. I would recommend buying it ready mixed in order to be sure of the proportions and sterility of the mixture.