Knee pain from walking meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Digity

Knee pain from walking meditation

Post by Digity »

I've developed pain in my right knee from doing walking meditation. The strain on the knee seems to have developed from the constant turning of the body when I get to the end my walking path. I've tried turning in the other direction hoping that will lessen the strain on my right leg. Although, I run the risk of making them both sore. Anyone else had this experience? Any advice? Maybe I should take a break of walking meditation and do metta instead.
barcsimalsi

Re: Knee pain from walking meditation

Post by barcsimalsi »

It looks like a serious problem you got.
How long did the pain last?
Did the pain occur in other occasion during casual walking or jogging?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I sometimes have problems, not from turning, but from walking slowly. When walking slowly one doesn't have the usual momentum that propels the foot upwards, and it's easy to get into some unnatural motions that put pressure on the knees. It may help to take shorter steps when walking (or turning).

:anjali:
Mike
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The knee is a hinge, it is only built to move in two directions, back and forth, so when one is twisting the knee slightly to turn around one can cause it damage. In order to not do this, you have to learn to turn differently. I don't know a whole lot about anatomy or physiology but if you google it I'm sure you can learn to turn differently than the way you are now which seems to be causing pain.

Last edited by Polar Bear on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
manas

Post by manas »

Hi.Digity
i.find.that.the.orderly,measured.way.in.which
Ven.Yuttadhammo.demonstrates.the.turns
helped.me.greatly.when.i.adopted.it
so.i.recommend.this.video

metta
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

How long is your walking path? I have experienced the same pain in the past while doing walking meditation at home where the walking path was too short and the turning around was way too often than it should be.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Digity wrote:I've developed pain in my right knee from doing walking meditation. The strain on the knee seems to have developed from the constant turning of the body when I get to the end my walking path. I've tried turning in the other direction hoping that will lessen the strain on my right leg. Although, I run the risk of making them both sore. Anyone else had this experience? Any advice? Maybe I should take a break of walking meditation and do metta instead.
probably this is a result of you turning your hips with your foot planted and rotating/torquing at the knee. simply dont rotate at your knee at all. use small, incremental upward steps to rotate yourself. think of marching in place while turning.

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
reflection

Post by reflection »

Are you sure it is developed by walking meditation and not a past injury that is brought to light? Or perhaps it is caused by your sitting posture? I may still be young and fit, but it seems very unlikely to me walking meditation causes injuries like this.

Digity

Post by Digity »

manas wrote:Hi.Digity
i.find.that.the.orderly,measured.way.in.which
Ven.Yuttadhammo.demonstrates.the.turns
helped.me.greatly.when.i.adopted.it
so.i.recommend.this.video

metta
You're right! I followed that method today and things were better. Do you do the noting too? I did it today and I felt it helped. I've been dealing with a very scattered mind of late and the noting of each step and turn helped me be more concentrated. Anyway, thanks for the video and thanks to everyone for the replies.