Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom
User avatar
cooran
Posts: 8141
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby cooran » Fri May 03, 2013 5:22 am

Hello all,

I found this article in Tricycle surprising and interesting:

Whose Buddhism is the truest?

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 3457
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Kim OHara » Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 am

Hi, Chris,
A good article, but I have seen it via DW before ... haven't got time just now to look for the older thread, however.

:namaste:
Kim

P.S. see also http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17061#p243767
:coffee:
Kim
Last edited by Kim OHara on Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21198
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 am

cooran wrote:Hello all,

I found this article in Tricycle surprising and interesting:

Whose Buddhism is the truest?

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest

With metta
Chris
This has already been looked at. I'll see if I can find the thread.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

There is freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning. If there were not this freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning, then escape from that which is birth, becoming, making, conditioning, would not be known here. -- Ud 80

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam
Damned if I know.

Nyana
Posts: 2233
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Nyana » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

It was discussed in this thread: Mahayana split.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby retrofuturist » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

Greetings,

"Harrison agrees with the general scholarly consensus that the Mahayana developed after the Buddha"

That's all I needed to know ~ thanks.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"When we transcend one level of truth, the new level becomes what is true for us. The previous one is now false. What one experiences may not be what is experienced by the world in general, but that may well be truer. (Ven. Nanananda)

“I hope, Anuruddha, that you are all living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.” (MN 31)

Never again...

plwk
Posts: 1185
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby plwk » Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 am

I can't help but to think that IF the Mahasamghikas and Sarvastivadins were still around, they would have given Theravada a run for the money... lol
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21198
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 03, 2013 5:59 am

Ñāṇa wrote:It was discussed in this thread: Mahayana split.
Thanks for finding it.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

There is freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning. If there were not this freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning, then escape from that which is birth, becoming, making, conditioning, would not be known here. -- Ud 80

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam
Damned if I know.

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Kare » Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 am

plwk wrote:I can't help but to think that IF the Mahasamghikas and Sarvastivadins were still around, they would have given Theravada a run for the money... lol


Not to mention the Sammitiyas (Puggalavadins).
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21198
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 am

I am all for the school that thought the Buddha's poop smelled like sandalwood.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

There is freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning. If there were not this freedom from birth, freedom from becoming, freedom from making, freedom from conditioning, then escape from that which is birth, becoming, making, conditioning, would not be known here. -- Ud 80

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam
Damned if I know.

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5288
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby daverupa » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

tiltbillings wrote:I am all for the school that thought the Buddha's poop smelled like sandalwood.


Image

Reminds me of the Catholic Eucharist, for some reason...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Rasko
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Rasko » Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Traces of Gandhāran Buddhism: An Exhibition of Buddhist Manuscripts in the Schøyen Collection
Jens Braarvig and Fredrik Liland
With contributions by: Jens-Uwe Hartmann, Kazunobu Matsuda, Richard Salomon, Lore Sander
2010
http://www.indologie.uni-muenchen.de/do ... alogue.pdf

alan
Posts: 2746
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 am
Location: Miramar beach, Fl.

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby alan » Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 pm

I no longer waste time with that Tricycle, which seems to have ulterior motives.

This article is a good example of what they often present as research. Lots of words which sound impressive, a few true facts intermingled with an assumed conclusion. Nothing was proven, but the feel of authenticity lingers. As usual, we are lead to believe Buddhism is just a free-floating thing that no one can really get. Or maybe we all can, just tune in next month. Besides, who wants to waste time actually studying?

Oh, and buy our magazine.

binocular
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby binocular » Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 pm

Whose Buddhism is truest?


"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."


SN 56.9

User avatar
polarbear101
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 am
Location: California

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby polarbear101 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Whatever buddhism when adopted and undertaken leads to the total abandoning of passion, aversion, and delusion is the truest.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2208
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby manas » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 pm

binocular wrote:Whose Buddhism is truest?


"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."


SN 56.9

:goodpost:

good.point,binocular.
but.not.easy.to.always.practice
although.we.ought.to

metta
:anjali:

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 17082
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: War.loun.dig.er.ler
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Ben » Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 pm

alan wrote:I no longer waste time with that Tricycle, which seems to have ulterior motives.

This article is a good example of what they often present as research. Lots of words which sound impressive, a few true facts intermingled with an assumed conclusion. Nothing was proven, but the feel of authenticity lingers. As usual, we are lead to believe Buddhism is just a free-floating thing that no one can really get. Or maybe we all can, just tune in next month. Besides, who wants to waste time actually studying?

Oh, and buy our magazine.


I agree.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Kare » Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am

cooran wrote:
Whose Buddhism is the truest?



Mine, of course. :rolleye:
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
Viscid
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby Viscid » Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Kare wrote:
cooran wrote:Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Mine, of course. :rolleye:

Bah! Beat me to it.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

dharmagoat
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 am
Location: Gone Bush

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby dharmagoat » Sat May 04, 2013 11:03 pm

The Buddha's?

User avatar
m0rl0ck
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Postby m0rl0ck » Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 am

Pretty exciting stuff, anyone know if there are any translations / comparisions published?
What i find most interesting about this is
The manuscript record in Pali, however, doesn’t begin until about 800 C.E.

about the same time chan was well established in china and that the manuscripts in the article are even earlier.

The collections contain the earliest known Prajnaparamita (Perfection of Wisdom) texts


Id love to read some more about that.
A monk asked Unmon,
"Not a single thought arises: is there any fault or not?"
Unmon said,
"Mt. Sumeru."
~Case 19, The Book of Equanimity


Return to “Theravāda for the modern world”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine