Didn't get charged for service

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Didn't get charged for service

Post by Digity »

I got Sears to install A/C at my house. It cost $2500, but it's been over a month and they still haven't charged my credit card. Should I just wait tell they charge me? If they never do would you consider that stealing?
Hickersonia

Re: Didn't get charged for service

Post by Hickersonia »

Digity wrote:I got Sears to install A/C at my house. It cost $2500, but it's been over a month and they still haven't charged my credit card. Should I just wait tell they charge me? If they never do would you consider that stealing?
I would have to wonder if someone else got charged instead... :tantrum:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I'd call them.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Mojo wrote:I'd call them.
I'd wait another month and then call them, on the basis that I'm in no hurry to pay if they are in no hurry to collect. :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hi Digity,

Personally, I'd call them.

A couple of days ago, I had a light meal and coffee at a cafe. A few of us were talking and I unintentionally walked out without paying. I realised this when I arrived home, rang the restaurant, and returned the next day to pay what was owed. They had no way of tracing me - but it was the right thing to do.

It is your decision, your kamma.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Digity

Post by Digity »

But am I doing anything wrong? It's there responsibility to charge me. I gave them my credit card and everything. That's different fom the restaurant thing, because you left without paying...that's theft. I gave them the credit card to charge me.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I take it that perhaps the reason you don't want to call them or haven't called them is because you would prefer not to fork over 2500 dollars. Am I correct in this assumption?
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Digity wrote:I got Sears to install A/C at my house. It cost $2500, but it's been over a month and they still haven't charged my credit card. Should I just wait tell they charge me? If they never do would you consider that stealing?
What do you think, Digity?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Stealing? Yes.I wonder why you even ask.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Digity,
One thing I learned from working in insurance is that different companies pay each other as late as they possibly can, so that they can accumulate interest/profit on the money prior to forking it over. In my country, that is not stealing - it's good commercial sense, and often the terms of payment exceed much longer than 30 days.

Therefore, whatever you decide to do, make sure that $2500 which you owe them remains available on your credit card for them to take if/when they get their act together... by sitting on it, it will reduce your interest payments etc. That's what corporations do, why should you be held to higher account unless you particularly wish to?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Digity

Post by Digity »

tiltbillings wrote:
Stealing? Yes.I wonder why you even ask.
Well, think of it this way. If I stole something at a store and was caught I'd be charged by the police. However, in this case if Sears found out that they didn't charge me then I wouldn't get charged by the police or go to jail, because there was no wrongdoing on my part. So, in the legal sense it wouldn't be considered theft, because I did everything I was suppose.

Having said all that, I do think if you get a service you should pay for it. So, I will tell them. However, when they came to install the A/C the humdifier had issues, which they had installed previously, and they still haven't come to fix the broken part. I want to make sure the humidifier is fixed before they charge me. I'm a little pissed, because I feel like they're ignoring me when I call them and ask about the humidifier.

My credit card limit is close $10K...I barely spend anywhere near a $1K on that card, so they should have plenty of credit.
Last edited by Digity on Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I agree with all of the moral encouragement offered, but I see a practical issue too: I would not want to get hit with that bill at a moment I was not expecting it. Better to settle your debts while you are still tracking them, then be surprised by them when you least expect it...
:juggling:
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Another practical issue:

If, rather when it breaks you can get warranty work done with your receipt. No receipt, no warranty. And these things always break, there is always something minor to major that goes wrong with some of the parts, even when it is new.