Putting your wealth in context

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mogg

Re: Putting your wealth in context

Postby mogg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:37 am

The funny thing about wealth is, no matter how much you earn, you never feel wealthy. I was making a high income in Australia but so were all my peers so I just felt normal (actually unsatisfied would be more accurate). When I moved to Singapore (and ultimately Hong Kong) I was making many multiples of my previous Australian salary but felt average (unsatisfied) yet again because the goal posts had shifted and all my new peers/friends were making mega-bucks. Its never enough, and you never feel satisfaction.

Now I'm 'retired' and in Thailand trekking the dhamma path. I'm making less money now than I did as a 22 yr old grad...and I feel richer than I ever have :)

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 am

Hi Mogg
I wish that everyone in this world understand what you said. We understand this mainly we are rich unfortunately.
Even Buddha realise this being a prince. People think that there is a correlation with wealth and happiness.
:) They are too different things.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

chownah

Postby chownah » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Putting your wealth in context, using the Ariya-Vampsa sutta as the context:
Any old lodging will do
Any old food will do
Any old clothing will do
chownah

Dennenappelmoes

Postby Dennenappelmoes » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Return to “Sīla”