Reason Caused the Holocaust

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Reason Caused the Holocaust

Post by tiltbillings »

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Coyote

Re: Reason Caused the Holocaust

Post by Coyote »

Ridiculous. Moral relativism caused the holocaust?? :shock:
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

While moral relativism may not be the greatest philosophy, it is in no way related to the absolutist ideas of fascism.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

A national day of reason?

Just a day? What about the other 364.25 days?

:jumping:
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Well, it had to happen some day. Fox News shot itself on the head.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hitler was of course famous for his calm reasoned speeches to the German people, frequently citing Immanuel Kant in the best tradition of European Age of Reason thinkers. Right?
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Well, it had to happen some day. Fox News shot itself on the head.
But Fox Noise watchers will never notice.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
manas

Post by manas »

Dan74 wrote:Hitler was of course famous for his calm reasoned speeches to the German people, frequently citing Immanuel Kant in the best tradition of European Age of Reason thinkers. Right?
Last time I watched one of those speeches on youtube, I wondered how he got away with it. Without getting locked up I mean. Using such exaggerated language, talking about his love for the ordinary, common working man (hmm I doubt it), almost on the verge of tears, sometimes almost screaming with his arm flailing about. If that's 'calm and reasoned', I shudder to think of what 'raving lunacy' must look like :P

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
manas

Post by manas »

Did I hear that woman correctly??

"The Doctrine of Original Sin is the only one with 3000 years of empirical evidence to back it up..."

- you can say that on a mainstream news network and not get laughed out of the studio for it? And she wasn't joking, right? 'Empirical evidence'? :rolleye:

America has given the world many admirable things, but Fox News is surely not one of them. 'God help us' as the Theists say...

metta.
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Insert snark here. Gosh.
Roland

Post by Roland »

For Fox sake...
"No tree becomes rooted and sturdy unless many a wind assails it. For by its very tossing it tightens its grip and plants its roots more securely; the fragile trees are those that have grown in a sunny valley."

--Seneca the Younger (57 BCE- 65 AD)