Potential wasp nest problm

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sekha

Re: Potential wasp nest problm

Post by Sekha »

tiltbillings wrote:One should die rather than kill the wasps?
If one wants to practice according to the Buddha's teaching, one should die rather than INTENTIONALLY killing the wasps. If one is compelled to get rid of the wasps and while doing so, one UNINTENTIONALLY kills some of them, that is perfectly alright. In any case, advocating for intentional killing of living beings is an immoral and shameful thing to do.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:
If one wants to practice according to the Buddha's teaching, one should rather die rather than INTENTIONALLY killing the wasps. If one is compelled to get rid of the wasps and while doing so, one UNINTENTIONALLY kills some of them, that is perfectly alright.
Not talking about monks, but lay people, where doesthe Buddha say that a wasp life has more value than a human life?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

I recommend that you do a risk analysis of the likelihood of getting stung if you do nothing.
I agree with Sekha that what is probably more the problem is indulging in a fear that is disproportionate with the risk of an adverse event.
Make a decision based on rationality and objectivity rather than raw emotion. If that means a difficult course of action or inaction, so be it.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Sekha wrote:
If one wants to practice according to the Buddha's teaching, one should die rather than INTENTIONALLY killing the wasps.
That seems extreme.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

tiltbillings wrote:where does the Buddha say that a wasp life has more value than a human life?
come on.
1. First of all I have myself stepped over wasp nets twice in my childhood and teenage, I got stung by many insects at the same time. Apparently, I didn't die.
2. Even if they were that dangerous, the focus as always is on performing only wholesome deeds, whatever that entails.

Keep in mind:
MN 21
"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sekha wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:where does the Buddha say that a wasp life has more value than a human life?
come on.
1. First of all I have myself stepped over wasp nets twice in my childhood and teenage, I got stung by many insects at the same time. Apparently, I didn't die.
Not dying is good, but having had a toxic reaction to a hornet sting, my bloodpressure bottoming out until paramedics arrived, I can sayting not dying from stings is a good thing.
2. Even if they were that dangerous, the focus as always is on performing only wholesome deeds, whatever that entails.
But often one's actions also have an impact on others. Choices are always at hand to be made.
Keep in mind:
MN 21
"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Of course, but your life may not be the only one at stake here. Nothing easy about any of this.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I think this one depends on the circumstances. I don't know where Digity is based, but here in the UK wasps are a nuisance rather than lethal. One sting is painful, several in quick succession will spoil your day, but they would only be lethal for someone with an allergy or who fell right into the nest, etc. Then there is the issue of whether you can just work around the wasps by changing your routine. Is the nest somewhere you will always be passing and so can't help annoying them?

At Cittaviveka monastery, there was a nest in a stone wall in the cloisters one summer. There was a lot of through-traffic, but the monks put up a sign warning people. Those with allergies and children in tow used another route, and everyone else walked a lot more slowly and calmly past that spot. Everything worked out well for all concerned.

Having said that, I would not worry about destroying the wasps if their presence threatened a human life. If my children were severely allergic and wasps took up residence in my house, I would destroy all the wasps as soon as I could.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Strictly speaking, Sekha is correct. But you can go on practicing Buddhism if you kill the nest. Just means you obviously aren't enlightened yet, but I don't think you were under any illusions about that.

This thread is a little ludicrous. The stuff about the main problem being mental is technically correct, but I seriously doubt that anyone participating here would have the capacity to actually live that way in digity's situation.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Is there a way of destroying a wasps nest without intentionally killing any of the wasps? For example removing the nest and placing it somewhere else, or destroying the nest without intending to kill? Of course you would need strong protection - maybe a bee keeper suit or something, but at least you wouldn't be killing. Or can they be fumigated out?

I've don't know much about how insect exterminators work, but maybe they know non-lethal ways, or are at least willing to try them? - if you don't want to deal with the wasps yourself.

I think any method would only count as breaking the first precept if you intentionally killed the wasps.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

There were a ton of wasps living on my back patio a few months ago. I would go out to smoke a cigarette and there would be about 30 or so of them just flying around or hanging out on the ground every time and I would just send them metta and they would buzz around my head but I never got stung by any of them. I don't think there should be any problem just letting them be unless you're allergic to them which it seems you aren't. In my case, eventually the wasps just weren't around anymore, they must have gone off somewhere else or died off somehow. But anyway, I would just treat them as you would any other bugs living outside and just leave them be. They're just wasps after all, not grizzly bears.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

:goodpost:

corrine

Post by corrine »

A couple of years ago that happened to me and I tried to remove the nest. I was stung many times and ended up at urgent care. Cost hundreds of dollars. I had a allergic reaction and er doc said that is common with multiple wasp stings.

I now use a deterrent every spring so that they do not build nests on my house anymore. I will see them flying around and then they fly away. I do the same to keep insects out of my house. Makes it unnecessary to hurt them. I have cats. Indoor cats as I do not want the birds hurt. But if bugs come inside the cats will get them before I am able to catch them for outdoor release. I caught one with a little lizard in its mouth last week. I was able to get it out and take it outdoors. It ran away. If something finds its way into my home, there is very little chance it will survive, so I try to keep them outside.

Deterrents I think are the best solution. I now have a couple of epi pens to use if I get stung because the doc said additional stings could be life threatening. He said a lot of people are allergic. So being stung is no small thing for a lot of people.

corrine
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

polarbuddha101 wrote: I would go out to smoke a cigarette
Self inflicted disease. I wonder how that fits into the 1st rule of training.

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

tiltbillings wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote: I would go out to smoke a cigarette
Self inflicted disease. I wonder how that fits into the 1st rule of training.
Is the smoking itself the disease, or merely likely to lead to one? In any case, he's in good company:
in Thailand, everyone said that Ajahn Chah was an arahant - though he never said so. Then people would see him smoking a cigarette, and they'd think, "Arahants wouldn't smoke cigarettes, he couldn't be an arahant!"
Ajahn Sumedho http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Ajahn ... ly_Are.htm
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Related to the OP I also remember a story that Ajahn Chah allowed the Thai Army to deal with a red ant problem at Wat Pah Pong at one time.