Is there an "Ajahn Brahm" forum?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Feathers

Is there an "Ajahn Brahm" forum?

Post by Feathers »

Quick question not really warranting a thread, but was just wondering if anyone knows of any good forums specifically focused on Ajahn Brahm's approach and teachings? I had a look at the dhammaloka one, but wasn't sure exactly who was running it/who it was affiliated with?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Is there an "Ajahn Brahm" forum?

Post by DNS »

Yes, the Dhammaloka forum is run by his community.

http://community.dhammaloka.org.au/forum.php

That is the only one that I know of, specifically to his community. (If there were others, I am sure there would have been a link at his websites.)
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Hmm, that's interesting. Is there also a Thanissaro-specific community?
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Edit: huh, you have to pay to post? Interesting. Still useful to be able to browse.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Feathers wrote:Thanks :smile:

Edit: huh, you have to pay to post? Interesting. Still useful to be able to browse.
I think the cost to be a member on Dhammaloka is about $2 which is a user pays philsophy to cover costs of administration etc.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

If you want to talk about Ajahn Brahm, to be honest either this forum or NewBuddhist is better. The DhammaLoka forum is nice, but very small.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Magoo wrote:
Feathers wrote:Thanks :smile:

I think the cost to be a member on Dhammaloka is about $2 which is a user pays philsophy to cover costs of administration etc.
How true is this?
I have seen this said a couple of times andit just seams strange
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It's true. This, and also that it takes some time to get registered (you have to wait for a real person to send you back an email), is most likely very effective at eliminating spammers and trolls.

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:It's true. This, and also that it takes some time to get registered (you have to wait for a real person to send you back an email), is most likely very effective at eliminating spammers and trolls.

Mike
Spammers here have been a very time consuming problem.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Oh only $2? The only payment bit I could find wanted to charge me $50 a year. $2 as a spam-and-troll prevention device sounds reasonable. *goes to poke around the site more*
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It wasn't actually particularly easy to figure out how to register and pay... All the better to deter the trolls... :tongue:

I think $50 is to join BSWA, which probably has benefits if you live in the area, or want to attend a retreat.

Mike
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Once you account is activated you pay your yearly subscription here: http://community.dhammaloka.org.au/payments.php
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

$2 is a very small [annual] fee and I imagine it is very effective at eliminating spammers. I don't blame them for charging that fee considering the huge amount of spammers all forums face on a daily basis. The only drawback is that they don't get as much participation as a completely free forum, such as this one.

I'd rather have the greater participation we have here, but totally understand the reasons for their charge. Thanks to the moderators here for always being quick on their feet, banning spammers very quickly.

:toast: