Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society (on Facebook)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society (on Facebook)

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

A quick note to bring to your intention a recently formed Facebook group started by a Dhamma friend of mine...

The Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=48054011290

A nice little fan page for those interested in the Dhamma as taught by the Buddha who have much regard for those such as Bhikkhu Bodhi who have meticulously translated the Buddha's words from Pali to English for the benefit of sentient beings so that they may practice in accordance with the instructions of their teacher.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is his monastery site; another source for his teachings:

http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Individual

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society (on Facebook)

Post by Individual »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

A quick note to bring to your intention a recently formed Facebook group started by a Dhamma friend of mine...

The Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=48054011290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A nice little fan page for those interested in the Dhamma as taught by the Buddha who have much regard for those such as Bhikkhu Bodhi who have meticulously translated the Buddha's words from Pali to English for the benefit of sentient beings so that they may practice in accordance with the instructions of their teacher.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If Bhikkhu Bodhi is a humble monk, he should say, "Thanks but I don't require the encouragement. You should appreciate all the monks, even those who are less well-known, who work just as hard but don't have their names on the front pages of Buddhist publications, or are the heads of Buddhist organizations, yet are no more or less worthy of appreciation."

And if Bhikkhu Bodhi does not say this, then in that case, he especially does not need to be encouraged.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Individual,
Individual wrote:If Bhikkhu Bodhi is a humble monk, he should say, "Thanks but I don't require the encouragement. You should appreciate all the monks, even those who are less well-known, who work just as hard but don't have their names on the front pages of Buddhist publications, or are the heads of Buddhist organizations, yet are no more or less worthy of appreciation."

And if Bhikkhu Bodhi does not say this, then in that case, he especially does not need to be encouraged.
Goodness, what sourness! Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today?

The Buddha commended gratitude. If a group of grateful Buddhists want to club together and jointly express their gratitude, discouraging this is the very last thing Bhikkhu Bodhi (or anyone else) would want to do.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Individual: If Bhikkhu Bodhi is a humble monk, he should say, "Thanks but I don't require the encouragement. You should appreciate all the monks, even those who are less well-known, who work just as hard but don't have their names on the front pages of Buddhist publications, or are the heads of Buddhist organizations, yet are no more or less worthy of appreciation."

Trying to control the actions of others reveals more ego at work than letting people act as they wish.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Individual wrote:If Bhikkhu Bodhi is a humble monk, he should say, "Thanks but I don't require the encouragement.
Who said it was for encouragement? It says it's for showing appreciation. And as Ven. D said, The Buddha commended gratitude.

FWIW, having interacted with him many time, Ven. Bodhi seemed to me a very humble man. One of the most humble people I know. Soft-spoken and thoughtful too.

Actually, seeing that photo of him suddenly reminded me how much I miss him. I should make time to visit him soon. Maybe I can get to one of his lectures.
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Please do, Peter!
It is a wonderful opportunity that you have living so close to Venerable.
He is truly remarkable and I am grateful to him for making the Buddha's teaching more accessible to me.

However inconsequential they may be, may Venerable Bodhi share in my merits.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Individual,
Individual wrote:If Bhikkhu Bodhi is a humble monk, he should say, "Thanks but I don't require the encouragement. You should appreciate all the monks, even those who are less well-known, who work just as hard but don't have their names on the front pages of Buddhist publications, or are the heads of Buddhist organizations, yet are no more or less worthy of appreciation."

Goodness, what sourness! Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today?

The Buddha commended gratitude. If a group of grateful Buddhists want to club together and jointly express their gratitude, discouraging this is the very last thing Bhikkhu Bodhi (or anyone else) would want to do.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Not sour. Encouraging greater appreciation, not less.

In addition to the Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society, it would be good to have a Dhammanando Appreciation Society, don't you think? And an Appicchato Appreciation Society, and a Nananda Appreciation Society, and many, many more.

Then, once there are all these societies, they could all get together and form a Parliament, in order to discuss why they think each is most respectably worthy of appreciation, and to encourage greater unity and tolerance between them. :smile:

The Diamond Sutra
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

is there a Thanissaro one?
I enjoy Bodhis writing but I prefer Thanisseros Speaking style
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Individual wrote: In addition to the Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society, it would be good to have a Dhammanando Appreciation Society, don't you think? And an Appicchato Appreciation Society, and a Nananda Appreciation Society, and many, many more.
Actually, that's what Dhammawheel is! But not just an appreciation society for Ajahn and our venerable kalyanmittas, but more importantly, a Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha appreciation society!
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Individual

Post by Individual »

Ben wrote:
Individual wrote: In addition to the Bhikkhu Bodhi Appreciation Society, it would be good to have a Dhammanando Appreciation Society, don't you think? And an Appicchato Appreciation Society, and a Nananda Appreciation Society, and many, many more.
Actually, that's what Dhammawheel is! But not just an appreciation society for Ajahn and our venerable kalyanmittas, but more importantly, a Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha appreciation society!
Metta

Ben
:twothumbsup:

The Diamond Sutra
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Individual wrote:And an Appicchato Appreciation Society.
With this wayward lad, one would have to dig long, and deep... :focus:
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

speaking of BB
can one go do retreats with him?

living as far as i am from the rest of america ANYWHERE is a trip, a long trip. pretty much like traveling to another country, so i cant just pop in and meet famous monks or whatever you would want to call Bodhi, or Thanisarro. but i wouldnt mind meeting them, meditating and listening to some talks.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

appicchato wrote:
Individual wrote:And an Appicchato Appreciation Society.
With this wayward lad, one would have to dig long, and deep... :focus:
doesnt the hard work make it more worthwhile though? :jumping:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat