Retreat monasteries

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
pho

Retreat monasteries

Post by pho »

Does anyone know Which theravada monasteries to live in like a retreat in Australia?
James the Giant

Re: Retreat monasteries

Post by James the Giant »

Most monasteries and retreat centres in Australia run 10 day retreats.
I know of one monastery in Melbourne which does a 30 day retreat.
But outside those retreat times you usually have to work, do dishes, help prepare food, clean things, for at least 4 hours per day.
It might be different from what you were expecting.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
pho

Post by pho »

Hello James,

Which monastery in Melbourne does 30 day retreats?

Metta,
:tongue:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

pho wrote: Which monastery in Melbourne does 30 day retreats?
http://www.dhammasukha.org.au
It is a 2-monk hermitage in the Mahasi tradition, with some private kutis for the meditators, and some shared dorms. They run the 30 day once a year. I did it a few years ago and there were maybe 7 of us. The instructions were textbook Mahasi technique.
The Sayadaw is an entirely humourless and very strict Burmese monk named Sayadaw U Pandita (no, not the famous one). Daniel Ingram has a high opinion of him, if that makes a difference one way or the other, lol!
I would not go again, as I found the Sayadaw too dry. But at one point I was pretty sure he was reading my mind...
I would not recommend it if you have not done a fair bit of meditation before.
Have you done much meditation before?
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
pho

Post by pho »

I practise 3 hours each day. Did 2-week solitary retreat. I am thinking of doing intensive retreat for one year either alone or in group. I read Shaila Catherine's book: " Wisdom: Wide and deep". I did contact one FPMT retreat centre in South Australia and the cost is beyond my budget if i do one year.
If i can not find anywhere in Australia, maybe look for one oversea, maybe in Myanmar: Pa-Auk monastery where one can meditate for at least 7 hours a day. Has Anyone here been to Pa-Auk meditation centre? What is it like there? Please advise me.

Metta,
:smile:
householder

Post by householder »

Retreat centres all over the place here in Myanmar. Just booked a month at Panditarama in Hse Main Gone in July! A friend was at Pa Auk's monastery in Moulemin and does recommend it. Just need to get out here, find a centre on a tourist visa then get a meditation visa (which involves leaving the country then coming back).