Is there a correlation between death anxiety and ego?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mettafuture

Is there a correlation between death anxiety and ego?

Post by mettafuture »

And if there is, what does the Buddha prescribe to counter the ego?
mikenz66

Re: Is there a correlation between death anxiety and ego?

Post by mikenz66 »

[7] "'The perception of not-self in what is stressful, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end': Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"Bhikkhus, how do you conceive it: is form permanent or impermanent?" — "Impermanent, venerable Sir." — "Now is what is impermanent painful or pleasant?" — "Painful, venerable Sir." — "Now is what is impermanent, what is painful since subject to change, fit to be regarded thus: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my self'"? — "No, venerable sir."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html
:anjali:
Mike
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Well, of course. :) I'm familiar with not-self and impermanence. I guess I was hoping for something that illustrated a connection between anxiety and the ego (if such a connection exists). But thank you for sharing these wonderful verses.

:toast:

Edit: After some thought, these teachings are in fact exactly what I was looking for. The Buddha conveyed his message in such a subtle way. The lesson is easy to overlook if you aren't paying careful attention.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

In the Insight Knowledges, the understanding of impermanence leads to anxiety stemming from the fact there is ultimately nothing permanent (including the ego) you can hold onto. A nauseating affair.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Viscid wrote:In the Insight Knowledges, the understanding of impermanence leads to anxiety stemming from the fact there is ultimately nothing permanent (including the ego) you can hold onto. A nauseating affair.
Interesting. I really should spend more time reading the works of the Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw. He's written some of the best books I've read on meditation. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll take a peek at Jean-Paul Sartre as well. :)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mettafuture wrote:
Viscid wrote:In the Insight Knowledges, the understanding of impermanence leads to anxiety stemming from the fact there is ultimately nothing permanent (including the ego) you can hold onto. A nauseating affair.
Interesting. I really should spend more time reading the works of the Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw. He's written some of the best books I've read on meditation. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll take a peek at Jean-Paul Sartre as well. :)
Sartre's glass was always half empty. The Buddha's was always full enough. Take you your pick. :tongue:

Kim
ground

Post by ground »

mettafuture wrote:Well, of course. :) I'm familiar with not-self and impermanence. I guess I was hoping for something that illustrated a connection between anxiety and the ego (if such a connection exists). But thank you for sharing these wonderful verses.

Edit: After some thought, these teachings are in fact exactly what I was looking for. The Buddha conveyed his message in such a subtle way. The lesson is easy to overlook if you aren't paying careful attention.
Or take this:
From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. ... Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.

Both anxiety and the sense of I and mine do need the arising of consciousness in the sphere of ignorance as a prerequisite. Actually anxiety and consciousness on the one hand and "ego" and consciousness on the other hand cannot be separated as anxiety and "ego" cannot be separated. :sage:
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Sartre's glass was always half empty. The Buddha's was always full enough. Take you your pick. :tongue:

Kim
ground wrote:Or take this:
From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. ... Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.

Both anxiety and the sense of I and mine do need the arising of consciousness in the sphere of ignorance as a prerequisite. Actually anxiety and consciousness on the one hand and "ego" and consciousness on the other hand cannot be separated as anxiety and "ego" cannot be separated. :sage:
Well said.

Anxiety is just a kind of suffering. End suffering, and you end anxiety.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sartre's glass was always half empty.
Hence the famous line "Hell is other people". ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!