Rapture and bliss.

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
K.Dhamma

Rapture and bliss.

Post by K.Dhamma »

I know that not everyone experiences these in the same way. But does everyone experience rapture prior to bliss? Any suttas or anything that someone can post/link?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
fivebells

Re: Rapture and bliss.

Post by fivebells »

I don't know any suttas relating to this, but I know from experience that it's quite possible to go straight to bliss.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Are you asking about piti and sukha? If so, which term is bliss? I am guessing sukha, but are you asking about these two in terms of jhana factors, or perhaps in terms of anapanasati? Or something else?

I guess I'd like you to define your terms.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

as far as jhana factors. and yes, piti and sukha. does everyone experience piti in the first jhana or is it possible to go straight into the first (anapanasati)jhana and only experience bliss?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
santa100

Post by santa100 »

According to AN 5.28 ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html ), one'd need to get to the 3rd jhana for piti to drop away and only sukha remains. Also refer to the jhana factors diagram at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%ABti
Ben

Post by Ben »

According to the ancient literature, both factors must be present for jhana to arise.
Be careful of misdiagnosing an experience as this or that desired state or label. Misdiagnosis is extremely common.
If you don't have access to a teacher or guide to confer with, I would take as my guide the tipitaka, the visuddhimagga and the works of latter-day meditation exponents.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
reflection

Post by reflection »

When interpreting the advise you will be given here, I think it's good to realize there is a lot of talking past each other because of the many interpretations of jhana and its factors, and translations. As for me, I agree with Ajahn Brahm's explanation of jhana and he states that piti and sukkha are indistinguishable until third jhana. Until that point they occur together as if one.

I also agree with Ben to be careful for misdiagnosis.

:anjali:
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

K.Dhamma wrote:I know that not everyone experiences these in the same way. But does everyone experience rapture prior to bliss? Any suttas or anything that someone can post/link?
Yes, everyone experience rapture prior to bliss.
does everyone experience piti in the first jhana or is it possible to go straight into the first (anapanasati)jhana and only experience bliss?
Yes, everyone experience piti in the first jhana.

No, it is not possible to go straight into the first (anapanasati) jhana and only experience bliss.
rahul3bds

Post by rahul3bds »

reflection wrote:I agree with Ajahn Brahm's explanation of jhana and he states that piti and sukkha are indistinguishable until third jhana. Until that point they occur together as if one.
Nope, they are clearly distinguishable.

piti= joy
sukha= satisfaction caused by joy

EDIT: I meant joy (extreme happiness)
reflection

Post by reflection »

rahul3bds wrote:
reflection wrote:I agree with Ajahn Brahm's explanation of jhana and he states that piti and sukkha are indistinguishable until third jhana. Until that point they occur together as if one.
Nope, they are clearly distinguishable.

piti= joy
sukha= satisfaction caused by joy

EDIT: I meant joy (extreme happiness)
This is already a good example of different interpretations talking past each other.

I found this part of Ajahn Brahm's book for those interested:
http://books.google.nl/books?id=ptmMsW1 ... hm&f=false