Beyond Mindfulness

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.

Beyond Mindfulness

Postby Zenainder » Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 am

I've had a growing interests in the jhanas as I have expressed here. (Keep in mind I am early in the practice). A few months ago I visited a Theravada monastery about 45 minutes south of where I currently live and met with my first monk for the first time (ever). Bhante Devanada (I like to call him happy god), we discussed Buddhism to a minor length. At first he didn't encourage conversion, but as he listened he realized it was too late for me :jumping: Any who, after our discussion he recommended and gave me a copy of "Beyond Mindfulness In Plain English" by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana. At the time I was not aware of the jhanas and only knew basic mindfulness and metta, so it basically exceeded my understanding so I set it aside. It was not until a few moments ago that it dawned on me that the book regarded jhanas and I had recalled seeing that when I read the first chapter. I plan on taking the time to read the book and wanted to know if anyone is familiar with it?

With that said, I think I may begin to overcome my conditioned apprehensions with organized "religion" and begin to practice at that temple. It seems favorable karma continues to blow for me. :smile:
Zenainder

Re: Beyond Mindfulness

Postby dhamma_learner » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 am

Hello Zenainder,

Bhante Henepola Gunaratana is a wonderful author and teacher. It was in fact his book Mindfulness in Plain English which introduced me to mindfulness meditation, and it's probably the best introduction to the practice that I have found. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest reading it thoroughly (perhaps even more than once) before moving on to "Beyond Mindfulness." The second book is truly for advanced meditators but feel free to read it if you are curious about the Jhanas. Remember, it is never "too late" to begin learning meditation.

With metta,

dhamma_learner
dhamma_learner

Re: Beyond Mindfulness

Postby Zenainder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

dhamma_learner wrote:Hello Zenainder,

Bhante Henepola Gunaratana is a wonderful author and teacher. It was in fact his book Mindfulness in Plain English which introduced me to mindfulness meditation, and it's probably the best introduction to the practice that I have found. If you haven't read it yet, I suggest reading it thoroughly (perhaps even more than once) before moving on to "Beyond Mindfulness." The second book is truly for advanced meditators but feel free to read it if you are curious about the Jhanas. Remember, it is never "too late" to begin learning meditation.

With metta,

dhamma_learner

I had oppurtunity to meet Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, but it was such a festive event that I kept to myself. More so out of honor as it was a busy day! I meant "too late" in the context of not converting as I already assimilated on my own lol. Bhante Devanada at first encouraged me to practice meditation within the local religion. (I think more so in the pain that conversion can bring?). Either way, by the time I had visited him I had made my decision. Have not looked back since. :) And I will practice towards Jhana as I continue my practice in the basics!

Thanks for replying!

Metta,

Zen
Zenainder

Return to Samatha Meditation and Jhana