Debt and kamma

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
K.Dhamma

Debt and kamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

So, I am interested in ordaining as I have posted before but I have debts that I have accumulated. The question that has came into my mind lately is:

Should I forego my debt and go ordain or stay and pay off my debt(before ordaining)?

I ask because in one way I will create some bad kamma by not paying back my debt. But what about the "inadvertent" kamma I will create by staying till my debt is paid off?

Feels like 2 sides of the same coin if you know what I mean.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Debt and kamma

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

"Are you free from debt?" is one of the questions asked of the candidates for the going-forth. If a candidate is not free from debt, he is not eligible to be ordained.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

ok, ty Bhikku Pesala
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Zenainder

Post by Zenainder »

K.Dhamma wrote:ok, ty Bhikku Pesala
K.Dhamma,

If I may encourage you to practice as a lay person as closely as you can a monastic life as you pay off your debts. Simplify your life and practice renunciation throughout the time it takes you to pay off your debts. You may not be robed, but it is certainly perfect timing to train.

Perhaps after they are paid you will change your mind? Or you may have a concrete resolve to ordain? :)

Metta,

Zen