Anapanasati actually inducing sleep...!

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Zimesky

Re: Anapanasati actually inducing sleep...!

Post by Zimesky »

I feel drowsy after Ananapana, does that put me in the sleep camp?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Don't worry too much. With the methadone programme, I often fall asleep practicing anapana, or doze off momentarily more to the point. If I am experiencing such a state of affairs I will switch my focus to a Goenka-ish sweeping of the body, once that helps regain some mindfulness I will graduate to thoughts and feelings, and finally to trying to observe the state of mind - Which in this case is often sloth and torpor. I've found under certain circumstances you can effectively fight your way through it and come out the other side quite concentrated. At other times I just fall asleep again :lol:

Since I assume you're not on a high dose of opiates like I am, I would say it may have something to do with your sleep pattern. Too much or too little sleep can cause excessive drowsiness throughout the day, in such a way that you may not notice it until you get down to the business of anapanasati. So I suggest it may be beneficial to have a look at your sleep pattern and experiment with some changes. That is only one of many possible causes though and I'm far from an expert in all of them :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

I always become sleepy when I practice in the early afternoon, so I nap beforehand. Mornings and evenings are fine.

Increasing one's effort can help to stave off sleepiness, as can meditating in bright surroundings.