YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Excellent old book:George Grimm, The doctrine of the Buddha - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Excellent old book:George Grimm, The doctrine of the Buddha

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
BlackBird

Re: Excellent old book

Postby BlackBird » Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 am

"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri May 31, 2013 9:17 am

No I'm sorry, but if you're intent on believing the the Buddha endorsed the idea that there are things in existence that are atta, then you'd be better of practicing Vedanta :)

If that was not your meaning then I have no clue what point you're trying to make :?

It would seem that you do not choose to translate 'dhammas' as 'things' whereas I do, in line with the tradition I follow, and I have found this translation most profitable.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am

ancientbuddhism

Re: Excellent old book:George Grimm, The doctrine of the Bud

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri May 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Dairy Lama

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri May 31, 2013 2:31 pm

nibbuti, BlackBird et al,

This is probably tangential to the OP, but when we read “all things are not-self” (sabbe dhammā anattā), this all things is with reference to the “thoughts and intentions” (saṅkappavittakkā) which are based in ‘recognition of forms (objects)’ (nāmarūpa) of the elements of cognition.

See AN.8.2.4.3 (8.83) and AN.9.1.2.4. (9.14) & AN. 10.2.1.8 (10.58).

These are the all things that the puthujjana takes as his attā.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri May 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Dairy Lama

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:46 am

Ajatashatru

Postby Ajatashatru » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:23 am

I put in an order for this book via Amazon. How does it compare to Rahula Walpola's book?

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 am

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:30 am

acinteyyo

Postby acinteyyo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I've read the book in german. Although Georg Grimm assumes some kind of "true self" outside of the world (loka), it seems to me, he represented most of the Buddha's teachings in a correct way (as far as I can tell). It's definitely worth the read. While the Buddha preferred to be quiet about what lies beyond range, Georg Grimm strangely comes to the conclusion that atta according to his interpretation of the Dhamma must be outside the All. It may be a strange view but there's no way to discuss that statement genuinely because there is simply no ground on what we could base any view about it. What lies beyond range lies beyond range and there's nothing else to say about it. Anyhow there are lots of interesting and valuable approaches presented by Georg Grimm in his book and I recommend to not jump to conclusions because of the odd statements about a "true self" beyond range. At least Georg Grimm doesn't consider anything within the world to be the self or belonging to a self, that's why he clearly says about his view of his "true self", "I am beyond all this, beyond the world".

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Digger

Postby Digger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:28 pm

For Acinteyyo: Thank you for post. Maybe you are better stating my original intent of this thread. I didn't intend to start an annata debate.

For Ajatashatru: My opinion is that Walpola Rahula book is more of an introductory/beginner book, the Grimm book is written for someone who already has at least a "mid" or above level of understanding and a familiarity with the Pali texts. Please let us know your thoughts after you have read the book.

For all: Again I offer , as in my first post, I will send a free new copy of the book to anyone interested (my way of contributing). Just send a me a PM.
He is different. He thinks.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:53 pm

"Don't believe everything you read."
-The Buddha

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Return to “Early Buddhism”