Hypothetically: Are Thoughts Vectors?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Zenainder

Hypothetically: Are Thoughts Vectors?

Post by Zenainder »

In my practice of meditation it occurred to me that as I observed my thoughts it seemed as though they have an angle and force (vector). Obviously this would be metaphorically speaking, but has anyone else while observing thoughts notice them come and go as if having a direction and force? For example, while sitting next to a street, staring straight ahead, and observing in your line of sight a car coming from the left and disappearing on the right, some traveling faster than others. This would be the closest example I have. It may have no meaning, but curious of any thoughts both philosophically and / or a sharing of experiences.

Metta,

Zen
SamKR

Re: Hypothetically: Are Thoughts Vectors?

Post by SamKR »

I think thoughts are not in vector space but they may arise like a group of complex scalars, undergo nonlinear transformation, and finally pass away to zero. :tongue:
BlackBird

Re: Hypothetically: Are Thoughts Vectors?

Post by BlackBird »

Well thoughts have intention as a part of them, they are always directed towards something, and for the worldling, craving is also a (gratuitous) part of it.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks