Maintaining posture

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
kiltro

Maintaining posture

Post by kiltro »

Hello everyone!
If find it difficult to maintain good posture when meditating..
When I start my practice, sitting on a chair, I can relax all my body while maintaining an erect and elengoated spine.
Then I get absorbed in the breathing process, and lose contact with the body, but when sometimes my awarness come back to the body I find my posture quite colapesed with my head slightly tilted backward.

Any suggestion on this?
Is this only a matter of time, where by correcting the posture from time to time eventually it will keep the correct posture?

:anjali:
Ben

Re: Maintaining posture

Post by Ben »

Whenever I begin to slouch or lose posture, its usually the result of the hindrance of sloth and torpor beginning to manifest.
My only suggestion is to try and remain aware of your posture during your meditation and if you feel yourself losing concentration, getting a bit fuzzy in the head or find your posture degrading then adjust yourself.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Spiny Norman

Re: Maintaining posture

Post by Spiny Norman »

kiltro wrote: When I start my practice, sitting on a chair, I can relax all my body while maintaining an erect and elengoated spine.
What might help is to sit forward on the chair, and / or raise the back legs using a piece of wood.
Buddha save me from new-agers!