League of Buddhist Nations ?

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
gavesako

League of Buddhist Nations ?

Post by gavesako »

Thai PM visit Sri Lanka – a platform to align the Buddhist Nations of Asia
by Shenali D Waduge, LankaWeb, May 29, 2013

Colombo, Sri Lanka -- Thai Prime Minister Ms. Shinawatra is due to visit Buddhist Sri Lanka during the month of Wesak. The bond that Sri Lanka and former Siam (Thailand) share needs to go beyond diplomatic niceties.

The people of present and future need to know the exact nature of what ties Buddhist nations together. In addition to seriously considering forming a League of Buddhist Nations it is suggested that a film be produced in co-partnership about the “Fascinating Journey from Sri Lanka to Siam” based on the narration of Wilbagedera who wrote the original narration of his journey to the Thai capital of Ayuthiya and the magnificent welcome accorded to the Sri Lankan delegation by the Thai King.

Let all those preparing to welcome the Thai PM remember that she arrives not to talk about multiculturalism but to mark the special Buddhist bond that exists between Buddhists and Buddhist nations. Therefore, it is essential that the agenda is solely on Buddhism and those involved in discussions are capable of giving genuine voice to Buddhists this translated means that all those mouthing opposing views should be left out. ...

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 80,0,0,1,0

:thinking:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Khalil Bodhi

Re: League of Buddhist Nations ?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Thank you for this Bhante.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

How does the League of Christian Nations, the League of Muslim Nations, sound? To my ears, ghastly! I hope for the Dhamma to be a guide, not a banner.
_/|\_
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

I too am not particularly keen on linking up Buddhism with nationalism. This statement in the article raised some red flags for me:
Let all those preparing to welcome the Thai PM remember that she arrives not to talk about multiculturalism but to mark the special Buddhist bond that exists between Buddhists and Buddhist nations. Therefore, it is essential that the agenda is solely on Buddhism and those involved in discussions are capable of giving genuine voice to Buddhists this translated means that all those mouthing opposing views should be left out.
Thailand and Sri Lanka may be Buddhist-majority nations, but to refer to them as "Buddhist nations" overlooks the existence of their sizeable non-Buddhist minorities, whose voices are to be "left out", it seems. I don't know who Shenali D Waduge (the author of the article) is or what his agenda might be, but the tone of the piece is worrisome, and Lankaweb (the original source) posts quite a lot of blatant jingoism on its pages.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Buddhism is part of the national psyche of many Asian countries and there can be benefit for such an organisation. It can serve as a platform to cooperate and to promote Buddhism among themselves, a mediator in conflicts between nations (Thailand/Cambodia), a pressure or lobby group where Buddhist minorities are oppressed, for eg..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Lazy_eye wrote:I too am not particularly keen on linking up Buddhism with nationalism. This statement in the article raised some red flags for me:
There's enough Buddhist nationalism as it is. Perhaps these people could profit from doing more meditating and less politicating.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

It may appear anachronistic to modern Westerners where plurality and multiculturalism is now seen as normal, but it is good to remember that throughout history in Asia, Buddhism was only able to grow and survive wherever it received royal support, starting with the well-known Asoka. Somebody has even argued that Asoka's edicts show that he was mainly using Buddhism as part of his own political propaganda to strengthen his control over India. All the later rulers took Asoka as their example as well. The Sangha has lost some of its independence and a hierarchical structure was instituted by the state, but it seems to have been necessary to ensure Buddhism's continued survival. The current violent reactions to perceived "Muslim danger" (right or wrong) might be based on some historical facts, such as the demise of Buddhism in countries where Islam took over and exterminated Buddhism as a religion.
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here is an article written from this perspective:
...Buddhist pacifism and tendency to co- exist in peace with others is being manipulated to their gross disadvantage. The challenge today is for Buddhists particularly in besieged Buddhist countries like Myanmar, Sri Lanka and even Thailand to unite and to read between the lines.
http://enews.buddhistdoor.com/en/news/d/39390
Bhikkhu Gavesako

binocular

Post by binocular »

gavesako wrote:Here is an article written from this perspective:
...Buddhist pacifism and tendency to co- exist in peace with others is being manipulated to their gross disadvantage. The challenge today is for Buddhists particularly in besieged Buddhist countries like Myanmar, Sri Lanka and even Thailand to unite and to read between the lines.
http://enews.buddhistdoor.com/en/news/d/39390
Or maybe it is when the brahmaviharas are employed wrongly, that bad consequences follow.
A typical example is "idiot compassion," and the havoc that often lies in its wake.

So I think it's not necessarily Buddhist principles themselves that would make Buddhists vulnerable to abuse and manipulation. It's an unwise, immature (ie. un-Buddhist) application of those principles that can lead to problems.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!